Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The End Of Fishing?  (Read 6974 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: The End Of Fishing?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 04:34:35 PM »

C&R fishing is a cruel and needless activity and some civilized countries have outright banned it already. For years now I haven't been partaking in C&R only fisheries ...

as I was saying...

Whatever you're semantics you are a c&r fisherman Milo - the legal requirement to let go wild coho and steelhead makes you so and as such your ethics talk from both sides of the mouth

If we are to continue to have fisheries managed at relatively low cost with virtually unlimited access and a goal of conservation - we will continue to need catch and release fisheries.

BTW I participate in fisheries where there is retention permitted but seldom if ever kill a fish because for me that is the right thing to do.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
Re: The End Of Fishing?
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 05:57:01 PM »

Whatever you're semantics you are a c&r fisherman Milo - the legal requirement to let go wild coho and steelhead makes you so and as such your ethics talk from both sides of the mouth

I beg to differ. Catch and kill fishermen fish for the purpose of harvesting a fresh fish for the table. Being out in the fresh air enjoying nature and catching your own food is a pleasant and productive way to invest one's free time. Without at least a chance at harvesting a fish or two, I might as well switch to golf or geo-caching.
That said, Ralph,  you will never hear me belittle those that C&R only. Many of my friends do.
It is a strictly personal preference and choice. No right or wrong here.