Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: centerpin cast  (Read 8916 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: centerpin cast
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 01:31:39 AM »

Just wondering what you mean by "less line". Are you referring to more backing and "less" mono mainline or less total line...mono + backing?

The more full your pin is the easier it is to cast because you get more line delivered per revolution of your pin. The less amount of line there is the faster the pin has to turn to cover the same distance and the load required on the rod and effort required it to deliver it is greater. Always try to keep your pin as full of line as practical.

same amount of backing that you'd normally use but a little less mono...total line capacity will obviously be less...the spinning of the spool doesn't change just the speed of the line being delivered, hence less chance of bird nesting...and yes the fuller the spool the tendency of more line uncoiling per revolution, but also the greater chance of line overlap...the load required to cast with less line is nominal at best, but easier for a beginner to control.

let me clarify too, I'm not talking about a significant amount of line yardage...20 to 30 yards less mono doesn't affect distance as much as you would think. Also as an alternative (as you were asking), you could put more backing to compensate because dacron has less stretch and elasticity that would create that spring like pressure on the release.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:07:43 AM by blaydRnr »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: centerpin cast
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 02:06:00 AM »

I forgot to mention that I was using 7feet rod .... if ill get 10+ feet will it increase my casting distance ?

absolutely, but you sound like you're starting to find your rhythm...after awhile it becomes second nature and you'll be the one teaching someone else. ;)