Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: centerpin cast  (Read 8917 times)

hrenya

centerpin cast
« on: November 15, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »

Got a centerpin tried to cast today in park ... max I can get from it 10-15meters ... is it normal or you guys got any tricks how to cast it about 30m ?
I`ve tried move from youtube - was holding my weight (same distance as my rod with line tight and rod a bit bent ) and wiping it forward ....

help me out plz ) I really like this reel ... it feels "so close to the fish" than baitcasting and spinning reels .... I really want to learn how to use this reel . If any one lives clove to Richmond and willing to give me couple lessons - plz let me know

Ry the fly guy

Re: centerpin cast
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 05:00:32 PM »

let your spool spin before you release it. it was hard for me to learn to but its all in the speed of the spool

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 07:31:06 PM »

Add more weight. Keep adding weight until you can get it where you want it. Then fish that way for a bit. Slowly remove weight, split shot  is great for that. Use bigger floats for now.
People always say practice in a park, I'm not sure why though you have a better chance catching a fish on the river... It won't take long to get the hang of it, practice controlling the reel and aiming where you want to cast instead of just trying to launch it to the other side of the river. Most of the time the fish are in front of you anyways.

Edit:
Just re-read your post.  Not sure what you watched but slingshotting your weight is not going to get you anywhere. Get that spool going at the end of your back cast.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 07:34:27 PM by Noahs Arc »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »

another thing that would help you is to put less line on the spool...after that, it's just practice...give it time.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 08:42:55 PM »

more weight till u get use to it ! plus if its new it will get better after more casts.. breakin period

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »

A little bit of info that may help  :)
http://www.sea-run.com/getting-started-centrepin-reels/
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

PinFishin

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 10:56:37 PM »

Hand placement is also key. I struggled My first day until the guy beside me looked over and said "You are doing it wrong, hold your hand like this".

Once that happened my casting distanced doubled and I didn't birds best again. It's as simple as letting the rod do the work of launching your lure while your reel hand is in position to control your line spooling.

I am incredibly new to CPing as well but that one piece of advice made my life much easier.

Tangles

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 10:57:41 PM »

Also try to work on the timing of feathering the rim with your finger/s. You basically fire the thing out and as your weight flies away you apply very light tension on the reel with your finger - as your presentation approaches the desired landing point you gradually increse pressure until full stop ideally just before it hits the water.
Another tip is to start with heavier line test, maybe 20-25lb, and then work your way down if needed. It just makes it much easier to avoid birds nests and untangle the ocassional mess in the beginning.
I'd also sugeest as somebody else said earlier, don't waste your time practicing in the park. Just hit the water and you'll get a hang of it. 
Good luck
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:00:35 PM by Tangles »

barklee

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 02:47:16 AM »

Im also new to centerpin throwing but the biggest thing to help me cast/ side cast forget the wallis for now. Like the other post said let it spin.

That means if you were casting a spinning reel you open guide then put finger on line then when you swing the rod you release at the end of swing simultaneously. Instead of letting the line go at the end, for centerpin you let it go on the back swing (loading). Basically the reel is spinning through whole cast. The key is when to release the reel. Release it on your back swing, a tiny bit before. The weight comes down the reel starts spinning and you swing it away. Now don't let the reel over spin cause you will get a nest, use your hand a slowing brake and fully brake when you hit the water.

I hope this helps a bit see youtube for side cast.

losos

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 07:20:56 AM »

Here are some links that will definitely help you. I used them and learned this year within 20 minutes basic long cast. Of course it will take some more practise on the river to perfect it to avoid over spins, Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAUHV1qAk8

This one is more advanced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJHyQJIwP4w

jpar247

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 07:49:17 AM »

Try back handing it and aiming up a bit.

Really tho, when you gonna need 30m cast?

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »

I found that it took some time to finally get used to using my hand brake the reel, I think this is the most important component as you start to feel comfortable with the timing, how much tension you're applying on it.  Naturally when I first started out, I wanted it to go as far as humanely possible.  But it takes time and getting used to the feel of it.  The other folks on this thread have given great advice to the technique of CP casting.  Along with the videos.

BTW, no shame in practicing casting in a park, I did the same thing, didn't want to look like a fool on the river with a nested CP reel and you're standing shoulder to shoulder  ;D
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

mojo7

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »

another thing that would help you is to put less line on the spool...after that, it's just practice...give it time.

Just wondering what you mean by "less line". Are you referring to more backing and "less" mono mainline or less total line...mono + backing?

The more full your pin is the easier it is to cast because you get more line delivered per revolution of your pin. The less amount of line there is the faster the pin has to turn to cover the same distance and the load required on the rod and effort required it to deliver it is greater. Always try to keep your pin as full of line as practical.

hrenya

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »

gents don't know how to thank you all ..

I did more casting today ... I actually managed to get close to 25m distance .... using 8 lb line and 1/4 weight at the end ...

I learnt some mistakes from my dad and I was pretty gentle with my moves ... pretty much I was holding weight in 1 hand pushed it a bit down so I have tension on rod and line and let it go ... - I`ve been doing that or a few hours ...
after at the moment when I let it go I add some wipping with my rod - ( casting distance increased but 50% nest :((((((( ) . and like u guys advised me I let it go before I cast = I almost made it to 30m :) but I don't really like using more weight to get distance ...
I was watching tube and saw pretty sick cast with cp ... dude grabbed his line between rings -pull if down and casted ... if anyone can explain that to me - would be great ....

-

hrenya

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 07:27:59 PM »

I forgot to mention that I was using 7feet rod .... if ill get 10+ feet will it increase my casting distance ?