Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: any remedies for rod stuck together at the ferrules ?  (Read 7464 times)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
any remedies for rod stuck together at the ferrules ?
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:16:24 PM »

The bottom two pieces of my spey rod are stuck together at the ferrules.
Any suggestions on how to get them apart are greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance.
It ain't the roe bro'

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: any remedies for rod stuck together at the ferrules ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »

Hot and then cold can be used to expand and then contract and hopefully loosen the two sections.

Another method that works is two grab one section with your left hand the other with the right hand about a foot in between, place the rod behind you, in the fold behind your knees, with your hands on either section tight against the side of your knees, and then squat down. This will force your hands apart and the two sections will come apart. It sounds kind of funny, but if you understand what I mean it works. I have unstuck many rods this way, it has never failed me yet. Had a rod get stuck once, tried everything, and then found this method on the Internet somewhere and it instantly popped the sections apart.

Brian Babcock

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »

Ice and more ice! You need to get the ferrule really cold. Not just some frozen pees, etc. Take the time to groove out a block of ice and pack it tightly on the ferrule for 15 - 20 minutes. It should then just pop apart easily. The reason this works is because the male section is thicker wall thickness than the female section and will contract more when cooled. Trust me, I've done this a hundred times! 

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:55:05 PM »

Ive never had the leg technique work for me. Ive read many people have gotten it to work, but I dont like the force required. I have unstuck rods 3 or 4 times by simply getting them cold, then popping them apart. Wet them down, ice them, bag of peas, leave em outside, whatever works, and after a couple hours they pop apart. Even just running the ferrule under cold water for 5 minutes has worked.

Ive only done single handers though, on a spey, the leg technique may work better.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:50:34 PM »

There is one called the "four handed crossover technique", need a buddy to help you out with it, but it should work for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8bOgtWtrNE

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:18:54 AM »

this has happened to me a couple of times. I put the stuck section on a table then apply a bag of ice to the ferrule for 10 minutes or so then pull the rod apart.

Apply paraffin (candle wax) to the male end of all ferrules and you won't have this problem.  Just rub it on directly from an uncolored wax candle or a block of paraffin. It only needs to be done once a season.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:21:21 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 07:20:34 AM »

sorry double post.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

yoda

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:23:25 AM »

Could not get my sage apart a while back. Was on my way home so stopped in at Searun tackle where it was built.
The staff there just popped their freezer open a little bit and carefully closed the stuck area in one corner of the freezer for a
few minutes. Popped right apart. Very frustrating when it happens.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »

For cold try using key board air. Flip the can upside down and it comes out extremely cold.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 05:25:23 PM »

Thanks for all the helpful replies from everyone. Will do the ice recommendation.
It ain't the roe bro'

fisharoo

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »

Good luck! I had my rod stuck for over 10 hours a few weeks ago.

Tried all the techniques.... try icing both sections and then placing your hand on the bigger ferrel to warm it.. then give a good twist and pull. Wrapping the rod with rubber dish gloves gave me good grip.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 11:04:26 PM »

Throw a candle in your vest and give the ferrules a swipe every now and then.
A couple small bday cake candles will last you forever,or until they disappear into the depths of your vest.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:07:23 PM »

Another great preventative measure is to rub your nose with your index finger and then rub the male ferrel with your index finger. The oils from your skin will prevent the ferrels from sticking together. I do this once or twice a season and have never had an issue with any of my rods.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Al P.

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 05:05:21 PM »

Fishing a Skeena trib this past fall, I left my rods outside the wall tent one night, leaving them rigged up and ready to fish the next day. It rained really hard all that night and really cooled down, soaking the gear, and changing our plans for fishing, meaning breaking rods apart to move. On this one rod, a NRX spey rod, I could not get the two tops sections apart, being very thin sections, and a very high end graphite rod, I didn't want to go crazy, but I tried everything possible and finally gave up, figuring with a change in temp, drying out, or some time fishing/flexing, it would pull apart. Several fishing days later, no go. Rod came home with the top 2 sections stuck together. Back home, I searched the web for ideas and tried every single tip or trick, out there I could find, all with absolutely no luck. Several weeks later, almost at the point of sending the rod back to Loomis for help, I got a tip, that I was told, they do at the G. Loomis factory in the States, to pull apart rods they get back in this condition. An easy tip, and does it work well! Simply take an old bicycle inner tube, and cut into two smaller pieces, twist a piece on each end of the rod near the stuck ferrule, but being careful not to wrap over any line guides . Grab the inner tubes, and with the traction they provide, just twist the rod sections in opposite directions,......voila, rod apart!
Hope this simple tip helps someone who finds themselves in the same situation.
Al P.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 05:58:59 PM »

And if you are heating and cooling anything make sure you are cooling the male end and heating the female end otherwise you won't go anywhere.