Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: winter camping spots and ideas  (Read 4102 times)

chronicfisher

winter camping spots and ideas
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »

Since I lost out on summer due to back surgery I would like to do a small 3 day winter camping trip.just wondering any one know any good spots with fishing possibilities? Or even ice fishing? Somewhere 4x4 safe or am I crazy for even thinking about a winter camping trip.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: winter camping spots and ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 09:59:04 PM »

Manning Park

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »

get a copy of BC Backroads, and peruse some BC 4x4, and hiking websites like clubtread.
you can find all kinds of areas to explore and up to date conditions on roads etc on line as well.

Fisherama

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 10:10:25 PM »

Hawaii. :)

chronicfisher

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »

get a copy of BC Backroads, and peruse some BC 4x4, and hiking websites like clubtread.
you can find all kinds of areas to explore and up to date conditions on roads etc on line as well.

Doh! Forgot about that book.have one somewhere. As for Hawaii maybe next year.as for Manning park am I able to do see target shooting?looking for a spot less crowded.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:52:37 PM by chronicfisher »

salmonrook

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:10:16 PM »

Manning park has winter camping in the Lone duck campsite.You cant use firearms there because its a provincial park.The fishing in Lightening lakes is easy,they have plentiful small rainbow on the fly.
They also have camping at the base of the ski hill.

chronicfisher

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:24:16 PM »

Thought so.Any good spots on crown land? trying to stay away from the busy provincial sites if possible.

rickjames_2

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:04:52 AM »

I have done trips in December and January to Greendrop lake for winter camping with buddies. Ice fishing wasn't great but we got fish and lots of snow  ;D

Maybe think about Jones. Fishing is always fun up there and as long as you can get up the road you should be good.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

chronicfisher

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:09:12 AM »

Was thinking about Jones but every time it snows I hear that the roads turn into crap almost making it impossible.been a while since I went up there awesome place that's for sure.

rickjames_2

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 01:37:40 AM »

I fished it in my kayak a week ago, trolling lures and flies(micro leech).Brought 16 fish to boat(11 bows, 5 cutties) in about 3.5 hours. Released all the fish but lots of fun. I have had friends go up in the winter on snowmobiles but I have not tried to go up there past late November before. Apparently it can be done. Awesome lake with the occasional bigger fish.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

tim3500

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:39:41 PM »

try kilby on the Harrison River nice but windy in the afternoon

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »

real winter with snow etc. ( Nahatlach )

finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Kjle

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »

Little Douglas Lake is an amazing camping spot if you don't mind a small hike, and would be great in the winter. The fish are relatively small but are very plentiful and eager.

chronicfisher

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 07:51:21 PM »

I was gonna save nhatalch for summer I hear the roads there are deadly during winter.how is little Douglas lake?4x4 friendly? How long is the hike roughly?

Kjle

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »

I was gonna save nhatalch for summer I hear the roads there are deadly during winter.how is little Douglas lake?4x4 friendly? How long is the hike roughly?

Little Douglas Lake is accessible by car during dry summer months. The winter would be fun with 4x4, but not overly challenging. The surrounding area has a lot of great logging roads if you are looking for a challenge. The hike is a pretty easy 25-30 minutes. It really only has about 5-10 minutes of switchbacks with everything else being quite flat.