Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd sightings this weekend (involving the heads of dead springs)  (Read 5505 times)

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
Re: Odd sightings this weekend (involving the heads of dead springs)
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 08:41:14 PM »

Aaahhh, dead-pitching springs, I truly miss those days.  Seining at the bailey bridge and disc tagging, rafting the upper river with my dog and packing 25 huge white spring heads in ziplocs on my back while hiking 10 km to the waiting truck!  I remember one very wet day when after pitching one of the spawning channels in the upper, my partner Mark took his hat off and threw it on the dash of the rented pickup with the heat blasting to warm up.  What a stench when the big hunk of rotten chum that was stuck on the brim heated up and got cookin'... Some great times with Buck, Donaldson and KP out there.
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Tee

Re: Odd sightings this weekend (involving the heads of dead springs)
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »

Dave, approximately 400 k chinook are marked annually from the hatchery. 200k ad/clipped cwt and 200k cwt only. Double index marking was under taken to determine  survival rates between the two groups. There is some evidence that the ad clipped group survive at a lower rate.

I caught and retained one clipped chinook jack in September. Creel survey staff request the head of the fish so the implanted cwt could be retrieved as I was told.
I only fish on days that end with "y".