Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why am I loosing all the fish lately?  (Read 3860 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Why am I loosing all the fish lately?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 08:57:01 PM »

If we're talking about pinks, then I find I lose quite a few fish as they do have soft mouths - it can be a fine line between playing the fish out too long vs. ripping the hook out of the mouth.  50% is a respectable land/loss ratio for chrome bright pinks IMHO.

As for coho - I'm shooting about 75% landing success which I'm happy with so far.  I find that if you hook a coho - they're actually pretty easy to bring in until they feel the gravel and go "nuts" and roll and jump.  This is when it can get a bit crazy!  I find that if I can keep a constant pressure on the fish, and keep the rod tip up, chances are I'll land it.  I also agree that sharp quality hooks are key.

As for springs - I'm more like 25% landing success because I'm using light gear and usually just break off.  As for spring jacks - I haven't lost one yet.  I haven't caught a ton of them - around a dozen or so...

scotkemp

Re: Why am I loosing all the fish lately?
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 09:53:36 PM »

dont feel bad ive spent about a dozen days on the vedder this salmon season and all i have landed is a god damn rotting pink and im short floating so ive had a ton on but just cant get em ashore