Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SPRING BAR ON THE FRASER  (Read 5287 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: SPRING BAR ON THE FRASER
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »

One thing I have not read is any impact to the fish by pile driving.  If they're pounding steel in the water deeper than 10 to 15', the sound pressure will most likely decimate anything up and down stream which is unobstructed by an island or bend in the river. 

If this is true then I wonder what the pile driving for the new Pitt river bridge is doing to the the fish in that area as they are pounding metal deep into the ground.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: SPRING BAR ON THE FRASER
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 02:48:31 PM »

You can pound pile into shallow water with a fraction of the impact of that in deep water.  You can also de-water the area around the pile in shallow water.  They could also be vibing in the steel pile instead of pounding it.  Vibing reduces the overall sound pressure peak.  Data is fairly scarce on sound traveling through earth into water, so as of now, NOAA and USFWS are not asking for mitigation on this kind of pile driving.  For the most up to date info on pile driving, look at the Washington State Department of Transportation web site.  http://www.wsdot.wa.gov   We have a ton of data on pile driving because of our ferry operations.  Working in Eastern Washington, I am not the expert on this, but do know enough to get myself into trouble.  I would consider the biologists in our Ferry Department the premier experts on this subject.  So if any of you have questions about it, please feel free to contact them.