Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing On Global TV At 6  (Read 3663 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Fishing On Global TV At 6
« on: August 12, 2007, 05:55:58 PM »

I have just received word there may be coverage on Global TV about the sockeye situation on the 6 news. I cannot confirm it is Global but that is what I have been told. I imagine it will involve the FN sockeye fishery as it is in the news lately on radio and in the papers.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing On Global TV At 6
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 06:22:45 PM »

It was on, for those that may have missed it and would like to view it look for it again on the 11 news or early news tomorrow.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 06:30:44 PM »

the poor cheam want to know where all the fish went  ???

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 06:30:57 PM »

The fact that natives are okay with netting right now is completely irresponsible!

It bothered me to see a rich band like Tsawassen netting, they don't need those fish. And at the same time the Stolo rep was mentioning how bands further upstream may starve this winter...

They should be exercising more responsibility if they want some respect from the outside, especially given the recent treaty that was signed...

Shame on anyone who buys Fraser sockeye this year...

:(
Nicole

"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 07:52:57 PM »

A non-fishing friend told me he already bought some socs from a native source at $10 per fish undressed. Greed from that source plus willing bargain-hunting consumers will do the socs in.  :(

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 07:59:28 PM »

These are the people we need to go after, I'd love to see some police raids on the news!

Shame!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »

They need to sell their sockeye, do you know how expensive it is to shop at costco for food. :o :o

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 09:59:56 PM »

caught part of the blurb on the news natives are going to have meeting tomorow regarding low stock returns. was that right ? who are they meeting ? trying for some positive spin perhaps? .
anybody got some accurate info?

nephew was offerd socks for 15$ a piece mid week in Calgary
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

goblin59

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 10:07:01 PM »

I saw the report on the news. No commercial or recreational fishery for sockeye this year, yet the natives continue to get to fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 06:14:45 PM »

An item on now.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 06:19:45 PM »

If you missed it I am sure it will be on at 11 again. The news report says no commercial or rec opporunities on the Fraser this year but we knew that a few weeks ago.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 06:27:19 PM »

interesting story on the news tonight, Ive always wondering why the sockeye stocks seem to be dwindling faster than the other lesser valued salmon species? If the main impact was environmental wouldnt all stocks be suffering at the same rate?  what will happen to our rivers when all the commercial licenses are bought back and handed over to the first nations? Im just glad I enjoy stillwater fishing as much as I do.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 06:41:01 PM »

interesting story on the news tonight, Ive always wondering why the sockeye stocks seem to be dwindling faster than the other lesser valued salmon species? If the main impact was environmental wouldnt all stocks be suffering at the same rate?  what will happen to our rivers when all the commercial licenses are bought back and handed over to the first nations? Im just glad I enjoy stillwater fishing as much as I do.
I believe it is because the sockeye are plankton feeders and they are effected by the warm water.

Also the early timing chinooks in the Fraser are in bad shape. I have been told the usual May 1 opening may be pushed into June next year.

I agree back to the ocean  we go, where I started fishing but need to move closer to it. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 08:48:40 PM »

the poor cheam want to know where all the fish went  ???

They ought to look themselves in the mirror. How many times in the past we have heard the Cheam Band ignore fishing regulations ?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 09:00:17 PM »

My sentiments exactly.