Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Morris Lake  (Read 16028 times)

beak killer

Morris Lake
« on: February 23, 2009, 02:08:18 PM »

has anybody ever fished Morris Lake just curious ... any recommendations

beak killer

Morris Lake
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 02:10:28 PM »

any tips on how to fly fish it dry line/wet line/type of fly's....

mykisscrazy

Re: Morris Lake
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 03:24:51 PM »

In the Spring there can be really good Cuttie fishing when the fry from the Weaver Spawning Channel are outmigrating. Summer the lake tends to get rather warm and fishing is slow for salmonids but if you like fishing for Pikeminnow....The fall comes and so do the Adult Chum, Sockeye, Coho, Pinks, and Cutties following them.
Problem here is now access, one used to be able to drive in but because of the usual idiotic things some people do - access is limited.
A belly boat or canoe is recommended. However now your vehicle is not in view and yep you guessed it breakins are a problem.

beak killer

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »

thanks guys well im gonna go give it a shot its a little early but im sure if i throw on a blade or spoon something will grab it

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »

Just remember that only hatchery fish may be retained on the lake...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

daver

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 11:28:50 PM »

i love morris, although i get skunked more often then not. it is funny, people forget to read up on the regs.  a couple caught a nice two pound cutty and kept it even after it was brought to their attention that the fish was clearly wild. ignorant people. one of the guys at the local shop say that the "locals" dont throw anything back and the cutts are taking a sh#t kicking.
last spring i was there and the lake was boiling with fry, it was crazy. got a nice cutty  that day. good times.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 06:12:27 PM »

I have had some incredible Cutthroat fishing there.  All of my biggest Cutthroat have been out of there but its nothing like it used to be.  Numerous 20 inchers were normal but the past few years that I fished it, it was poor. 

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 06:19:58 PM »

clear intermediate sinker or a clear ghost tip are my favs.  Might be a few fry around but the fry will be better in late March and April.  Flashy Olive wooly buggers work well and in my opinion pick up bigger fish than fry patterns.  It is also a good pattern for when fish are stuffed on fry and a change in fly is needed.  I usually fish them deep with a slow retrieve.  Fry patterns near the surface will work well if the fish are slashing at fry.  Cast to risers. 

Good Luck

mykisscrazy

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »

Yep
I also use a fly called a "Borden Special" was shown it when I used to live over on the Sunshine coast. Rolled Muddlers and fry pattens.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 08:51:22 AM »

Pulled a 4lb dollie out of there a few years but since then the fishing has declined:(Unless of course you want to fish for monster carp.You can park on the side of the road just past the old road that used to go down,Follow the trail and it over lloks the water you can see the carp cruising the shallows.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »

Well 19 people there today.
Apparentally, according to locals the most they have ever seen there.

Some guys in belly boats were doing well.
I snapped one off on the Olive Flash Woolly bugger (personal fav for cutties).

Left after an hour, WAY to busy......
Where do you see these carp? We want to try and get them this year on the fly, heard its the "Canadian Bonefish"

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »

19 PEOPLE !!!!!! holy crap  :o thats to bad that so many know about it now  :'( :'(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Banny

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 04:06:29 PM »

You will not see any carp until the water warms up.  Carp are deep through the winter.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 12:32:14 PM »

Last time I was down there a group of local teenagers (mostly girls) in an old crappy car came down and were launching bottle rockets at me while I was wading.  They did this about 3x in a row, they'd drive down, I'd hear the exhaust burbling and banging off the bumps accompanied by a bunch of shouting, then the car would come around the corner and they'd do mini drive-bys.  Boy, was that fun.  Made for an interesting experience to say the least.  Skunked, to boot!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 03:09:54 PM »

that's why you carry a slingshot.

Also good for fending of seals, loons, etc.