Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tugs in the Fraser  (Read 8539 times)

bmynbr

Tugs in the Fraser
« on: October 28, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »

Last weekend I was anchored in the fraser, and was fighting a sturgeon.  While doing this, two tugs with logs in tow started heading down the river towards us.  The first tug went quite far away from us, but the back of the logs swung out to the side where the second tug was.  As I was getting the fish to the boat the second tug operator yelled at me to get out of the way.  I released the fish as fast as I could and swung my boat out of the way.  I don't think the logs would have hit us, but they would have come within probably 20 feet or so.  Seemed reckless to me that he would come that close.  I mean they could see I was fighting a fish, and even if I wasn't how do they know i wasn't having mechanical troubles and couldn't move.  Does he have any more right to the river than I do?  I was nowhere near the centre of the river. 
Dave

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: Tugs in the Fraser
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:26:53 PM »

The tug boat under tow has the right of way, you must give way them.

Dusty Mac

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:36:25 PM »

All vessels, especially with a tow, have rights heading down stream.  This is due to the fact that they cannot stop easily with the river current behind them.  In this case as they alter course, the tow will continue to swing in the current until the second tug can apply force and redirect it.  You were lucky there was a second tug.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »

It is good that you posted this.  Great case study/eye opener/reminder.

We need to pull anchor and get the F out of D, stat.  No ifs ands or buts.  As far as I know.

doja

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 12:45:17 AM »

There's a saying on the Fraser...  Might has right. The bigger it is the more right it has...  The Fraser has a lot of commercial traffic and one should consider it a roadway more so than a... Leisure area.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 06:49:51 AM »

Go wander around on the highway and tell me who has the right of way.

Gone_Fishin_

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 07:46:03 AM »

Any large vessel coming down river with or without a load must be given right of way. If i recall there was a section in your boating exam in regards to "right of way".

Especially being a large tug with logs.... now thats just common sense to pull anchor and move over regardless of fighting a record sturgeon or not. Imagine if that boom came and caught your anchor rope or boat, id say you'd be going down pretty quick without the chance of being able to free yourself.

As mentioned above, a reminder to all when fishing the Fraser to pull anchor and provide plenty of room for a tug boat and boom coming down.

doja

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 08:35:20 AM »

Also to consider...  Large vessels sometime move with the tides and have small windows to operate in at times and can't always afford to have to wait for someone to move so consideration  should be given to those moving down OR up stream if you are in its path...  It can be quite stressful for those operating in changing conditions and I've been in the control room and seen the stress when windows start to close... Always be prepared to move and help these guys operate safely... The thoughts going through the first tugs head weighing the cost of hitting you and having to go wide....  Probably wasn't fun if his actions were jeopardizing their operations and positioning further down stream... Ever seen the cruise ships move up River below the Alex Fraser bridge....  You definitely move for him as well,  lol. He can't stop very fast even if he had to and he simply can't  just go around you...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:26:23 AM by doja »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »

Always have a way to break away from your anchor in an emergency.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 10:05:47 AM »

Same goes in the ocean.
And sometimes being right isn't worth being dead.

Dusty Mac

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »

Here Lies Jonathan Day
Lost his life keeping the Right of Way.
He was Right.
Dead Right.

It's safer as a small vessel to just get out of the way.

bmynbr

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 11:30:27 AM »

I fully agree and moved Out of the way. I just though he could have hit his horn to let me know he was coming close.  And then I thought about if I was broken down. Am I supposed to release anchor and float downriver until I crash. 

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »

Well, according to the law, all power boats bigger then a jet ski and up to I THINK it is 30'? Have to have a set of oars on board or some other form of manual propulsion. I have chewed a prop to nothing and used my oars to get to a bar on swift sections of the non tidal Fraser. If I was broke down on the Fraser I think the LAST thing I would want to do would be to drop anchor unless of course you don't have oars?

ShaunO

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 01:24:29 PM »

Everyone who operates a boat on any body of water in Canada needs to understand the Collision Regulations (Col Regs).  These are effectively the rules of the road and paint a clear picture of who has the right of way when it comes to different kinds of boats/ships engaged in different activities.

Rule 18 tells us the pecking order from top to bottom:

Vessel not under command (damaged, loss of steering or power)
Vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuver (restricted by draft, tow, dredging operations)
Vessel engaged in fishing (Commercial)
Vessel under sail
Vessel under power

Here are the Col Regs:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1416/page-4.html

Look at Rule 3 for definitions, specifically 3d and 3f

If you are broken down and unable to navigate you need to use your VHF radio and contact either Vessel traffic or Coast Guard Radio so that others operating on the river can provide assistance or at least avoid running you over assuming you are simply anchored while fishing.

Someone mentioned that a vessel coming down river has the right of way and that by itself is false.  If it is a tug engaged in towing operations, then yes, absolutely they have the right of way.  Tugs in the river are typically are on a short tow line which limits their ability to change course.  As hard as they try, that tow will keep making way and will drag the tugboat with it.  Have a look at this accident where a barge overran the tug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEfUblSDzww

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 01:35:17 PM »

Holy crap.How fortunate the conditions were that nice.
Riverman