Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feedback on spinners  (Read 10048 times)

KarateKick

Feedback on spinners
« on: October 26, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »

A friend has just put my spinners photos online.  These are the spinners that my kid and I have been making at home using some components from friends plus lots of stuff from dollar stores.

As some of you know, the kid's disability makes it difficult for us to do much actual fishing, and we have no idea whether or not our creations are likely to attract salmon or trout or pikeminnow.  It would be great if you could take a look and provide some feedback:

John Revolver

Re: Feedback on spinners
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:14:09 PM »

Those look amazing.

With all of the action that those would create , I'm sure it would intice an agression strike.

I really like the one with the rubber Legs. I have always thought about melding a hoochie and a spinner together.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 06:22:26 AM »

Some of them look very nice. Maybe bigger blades in simple colors like all black or all white etc

Hootchies are all the rage on some spinners though Ive never used them.Les Davis Bolo spinners now have them specifically for coho~

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 06:59:38 AM »

They will attract fish for sure.  I would pinch the barbs though to make it legal in all the places.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 08:30:59 AM »

Put a hootchie (squirt) on a jig head and twitch for coho in frog water and hold on!

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 05:46:49 PM »

WOW those are amazing, great job.  Different colour combinations and sizes will have different effectiveness for different fish.  Figuring that out is half of fishing.  :)  The second and fourth ones will be killer for Chum, cast directly or drifted under a float.

The big marabou skirts, will work well with most salmon, but are probably unnecessary for trout.   If fished directly has blades, I would keep the colours simpler for fish like coho, just silver and a single accenting colour,such as orange, green or blue on the inside or one half of a silver blade would work well.  Also just a plain silver blade over coloured beads can be very effective.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 08:57:17 AM »

They will attract fish for sure.  I would pinch the barbs though to make it legal in all the places.

When and if you buy them, you can do that, of course. It is the final user who should pinch the barb on the hook of a lure or fly, not the lure maker.
Some people are collectors, not fishermen, and they don't like pinched barbs. In fact, a pinched barb makes a lure "used", which, in turn, reduces its value as a collectable.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 09:38:36 AM »

what hook am i looking at on that green hootchie version? That'd be killer for articulated streamers

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 03:01:30 PM »

I think they are decent for home made.

The small blades might need too much current or too fast of a retrieve to generate spin for my type of use.  Also, I prefer unpainted blades for flash, saving the colour (if any) in the body or skirt.

Your mileage may vary...

But good luck and I can't wait to see 'hero shots' of successful catches.  I'm sure you and other users will tag some fish!

KarateKick

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 08:55:03 PM »

Some of them look very nice. Maybe bigger blades in simple colors like all black or all white etc

We usually do our fishing  in muddy water (Fraser River in Vancouver).  Do the black and white blades work well in water with lower visibility?

KarateKick

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 09:08:23 PM »

Put a hootchie (squirt) on a jig head and twitch for coho in frog water and hold on!

Ha ha I don't think there is any frog water in the Fraser North Arm  :D

I wonder if I should try just jigging these spinners up and down.  I am unable to cast very far from shore, so I've been casting from a pier, but I suspect that when I retrieve, the spinner moves near the top of the water instead of the bottom.

KarateKick

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 09:20:08 PM »

WOW those are amazing, great job.  Different colour combinations and sizes will have different effectiveness for different fish.  Figuring that out is half of fishing.  :)  The second and fourth ones will be killer for Chum, cast directly or drifted under a float.

The big marabou skirts, will work well with most salmon, but are probably unnecessary for trout.   If fished directly has blades, I would keep the colours simpler for fish like coho, just silver and a single accenting colour,such as orange, green or blue on the inside or one half of a silver blade would work well.  Also just a plain silver blade over coloured beads can be very effective.

Thank you!  I will try silver blades.  I've seen packs of three for $1 at the dollar store.  Many of the blades I'm using are used ones that I've inherited from friends, and since they are no longer shiny, I paint both the front and back because I figure the bright colours are more attractive than tarnished metal.

KarateKick

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 09:29:08 PM »

what hook am i looking at on that green hootchie version? That'd be killer for articulated streamers

I think that was a size 1 Mako hook from Dollarama.

I just googled the meaning of "articulated streamers" and those things look cool, but I can't figure out why that hook is good for them  ;D

KarateKick

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 09:31:26 PM »

The small blades might need too much current or too fast of a retrieve to generate spin for my type of use.  Also, I prefer unpainted blades for flash, saving the colour (if any) in the body or skirt.

Damn.  I thought smaller blades would spin more easily because they're lighter.  I'll try some bigger ones.

KarateKick

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 09:35:31 PM »

By the way, a friend is experimenting with yarn instead of feathers for the spinner's tail.  Do you think it's worth trying?