Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone know how cold is to cold?  (Read 4833 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Anyone know how cold is to cold?
« on: February 27, 2005, 05:37:41 PM »

Wanting to take my chocolate lab ( Jovo ) out on the boat but he has to go swimming when he's any where near a lake . Do any of you know if there is a safe temperature for dogs ? . He will jump in the minute he sees the lake should i wait another month or so ? . In the summer when camping he swims 8 hrs a day easily if he sees a Loon on the water or any bird for that matter he'll swim miles chasing them it's hillarious.Just wondering if they can get hypothermia or not ? . I took him fishing one day and everytime i cast my spoon he thought we were playing fetch he would swim out to the spot where it landed and swim around trying to find it , a few casts latter a spawned out chum on his last legs swam near him he grabbed it and brought it to me. He caught more than i did this day. But I don't bring him any more for that reason worried he'll get hooked when i cast and he rolls around in the dead carcuses. Hope somone may be able to answer my above questions. Thanks in advance LEGEND.

daveg

Re: Anyone know how cold is to cold?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 06:20:52 PM »

Is he fixed?

legend

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 06:41:30 PM »

Why do you ask that. ? Yes he is . Every one who meets him that has Labs wants to breed with him he's pure breed and very good looking &  healthy . His coat is purfect his demeanour is great . He loves kids . He's very protective of his own teritory the best dog we've ever owned. When he sees Birds when walking he's facinated by them im sure if i hunted he would be awsome for retreiving. Once in a while i'll be watching those retriving competions on TSN he'll sit and watch them , he gets all excited and watches with great intent He's got his own personality an amazing dog.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 06:51:42 PM »

Legend you are one lucky guy because the dog you have now is the kind of dog I would love to have. Unfortunately I rent and am not in a situation where dogs are an option. But when I buy my place your dog is like the kind of dog I would love. Actually we want to get two, so that thier not lonely when were away ;D. Sorry about answering your question about the temperature because I really would'nt know, but in my opinon, on a nice sunny day I would just fire away and let the dog go in. They are smart animals and if they get cold, they'll come out, hopefully. Anyways Good Luck :).

legend

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 07:08:30 PM »

I hear you on the renting thing were renting to or we would have another one to .

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 07:13:47 PM »

Legend, I have a 6y.o. female Black lab (hence the name "Randog") I hunt ducks and geese in Agassiz in the middle if winter. Sometimes there's ice on the sloughs I hunt and she doesn't mind retrieving birds at all, but once I'm done the morning shoot I make sure shes dried out and in my heated truck.

As far as letting you guy out for a swim I would think it's just fine. These dogs are VERY resiliant and can take alot.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 09:24:54 PM »

Hey Randog, when I was a youth my pet Lab used to love to swim beside the boat on the way in from collecting Lobster, often more than 20 minutes,don't know how cold it was (the Minch) in the N Atlantic we were always told that if you fell over board you'd be dead in 12 minutes and even if you were picked up within 10 you probably wouldn't survive ,that useless mutt lived till he was almost 16. a gun-shy Lab with a fondness for the hearth carpet.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 12:58:15 AM »

Legend:  I've got a chocolate lab cross that also likes to swim but in the winter...not so much.  The only things I'd worry about is that A) if he starts to get tired, he will get cold.  B) the cold is likely to tire him out faster. C) Make sure you thoroughly dry him off and let him warm up properly.  Labs are swimming dogs and they do have the webbed foot/extra layer of fat around the body for warmth, but there are limits.  Also, I've noticed that if they're not exercising after getting wet this time of year, they WILL get cold and yes, they can get hypothermia.
President Club S. C. & P.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 04:11:29 PM »

So how exactly do you fish if your dog is swimming for your spoons? Take him to 4H like i did with mine and they will teach your dog everything, even how to retrieve fish. Very useful, it takes the fish out of fishing.
The Bigger The Better!

legend

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 10:27:19 AM »

Big fisher he doesn't need to be trained on retrieving fish he's an expert. As for fishing with him I can't bring him he's allways getting in the way and scaring the fish away chasing them etc. He gets to go when I'm in the boat then he's easier to keep under control. He isn't to sure about the Sturgeon I think he's scared of them .