Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hows Your Steelhead Season Been So Far?  (Read 8413 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Hows Your Steelhead Season Been So Far?
« on: February 24, 2005, 06:22:32 PM »

With a good two months of the steelhead season passed on the Vedder how do you rate the season so far? I think it is above average.

Another question is and it is sort of a survey, not meant to be a boasting topic but to see how many steelhead have been hooked and landed.

I will lead. 25 hooked, 7 landed of which 6 were wild and one hatchery landed and retained.

Largest hatchery 13 pounds and largest wild about 17 pounds.

Trips to the river 35.

Hope others will also contibute.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Re: Hows Your Steelhead Season Been So Far?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 06:48:41 PM »

Got 9 so far but only able to land 1 wild( 12lbs ) and 1 hatchery (~12lbs). See quite a few when I am out fishing.

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 07:27:35 PM »

Is this just for hatchery rivers??? ::)  Vedder hooked 17 , landed 4 hatch and 2 wild. Chehalis hooked 5 landed 2 hatch and 1 wild, which was bagged for the hatchery. In about 25 or so trips. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 07:44:10 PM »

Is this just for hatchery rivers??? ::)  Vedder hooked 17 , landed 4 hatch and 2 wild. Chehalis hooked 5 landed 2 hatch and 1 wild, which was bagged for the hatchery. In about 25 or so trips. 
Good point. I think steelhead reports from any river systems would be of interest to this board. ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 08:10:04 PM »

Trips to river 15ish and none for me yet, Most of my trips have been late in the day. Working on early mornings trips now, being there first before someone beats me too them.
The Bigger The Better!

Eskimo

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 09:17:14 PM »

4 trips to Vedder river, each trip 2 hrs max, fly fishing, one 8'ish hatch caught and kept.  Given my usual sucess rate, I figure I'm in for at least a dozen more empty trips before I feel another tug....

I have a gut feeling that this has been a pretty good year, as it is still only February.  There seems to have been a lot of wild fish so far this year, and I don't usually associate good #'s of wilds until  March / April.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 09:57:48 PM »

I've been out to the Vedder 5 times now, hooked into two the first  day out unhooking a wild and the other managed to gain freedom after a good minutes fight. :P. The last four times out have yielded nary a bite but somehow I always seem to have a great time. Must be the company I keep ::).

Robert

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 10:26:20 PM »

I've lost two from local rivers, it's going to get better 8)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 10:31:00 PM »

I won't get into how many but I do usually have fish on every time I go out. To me thats a good season so far and the best is yet to come. Last year it didn't really pick up till about now, so I'm expecting some good days to come.   C.G. did you go back to your balsa float again? I thought I saw you with one.
Fish on!

RVT

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 10:49:15 PM »

Been at it fairly steady since about Dec. 20. Put my first one on the beach today,(12lb. wild) lost  one at the beach last week, and not much besides that.  Some guys I've talked to are having great years, others are as frustrated as me, most are commenting on the number of people on the river this season. Didn't beach my first one until late Feb. last year, so I'm about on track, except I'm putting in a lot more time this year.

Bantam_50

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 10:51:50 PM »

Currently 4 trips to the river (most starting at 10:ish or later) with one hatchery fish of 10.5 hooked and gunny sacked. Yes the best is yet to come. I've got the intel on cammer's whereabouts.  :P

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 11:25:56 PM »

I won't get into how many but I do usually have fish on every time I go out. To me thats a good season so far and the best is yet to come. Last year it didn't really pick up till about now, so I'm expecting some good days to come.   C.G. did you go back to your balsa float again? I thought I saw you with one.
tooth
Yes. Lost a Drennan but thankfully it was not the TML one as it had the toothpick Tom broken off in it and was out of commision at the time. ;D The floral wire trick did not work to get it out. Will have to get it out to change my fortunes although have not fished for over a week, maybe tomorrow.

At the start of the season my goal was to hook 50 but only halfway there now. The Master is past that already  with close to 40 I belive to the beach. He says I am not using the right hooks that is why I my record is currently at 7 for 25. But I love my TML gammy hooks. ;D ;D

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 11:41:26 PM »

0 for 2 Vedder trips so far. Both trips were during the cold spell in January when the fish were very tight lipped. Only saw one caught. I'm looking forward to gettng out soon as the best of the season is just around the corner (so I'm told).

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 08:19:55 AM »

100%  That's 0 for 0  :'(

Steeler2000

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 10:22:43 AM »

Approx. 18 trips , 11 fished hooked , 8 to hand , 2 hatch released and 3 on the card.
Good days have slowed with the low clear water but maybe with a little rain and the overcast
skies better days are just around the corner .
Biggest 13.1 and  smallest 8lb. The river as a hole ( upper lower and in between ) has been good  :)