Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 471008 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Read this thread...

Drewhill

How's the Vedder river been this last week or two? Mayhem? I'm hoping to hit one of the rivers this weekend on Saturday with a friend of mine at first light. How difficult has it been to get a spot? Based on reports it's looking like I either need to hike in somewhere a little less fished or find a different river. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Weekends are nuts, especially at the popular spots. A lot of guys get to spots later and simply push there way in so even if you get there early and have a good spot it might not be the most enjoyable fishing. Better off going later, see where everyone is and fish where they aren't.

NiceFish

• Old Timer

Out yesterday morning and nothing.
Hit another part of the river this morning, good numbers of springs jumping and moving through but no takers... but I did find two hatchery cohos to take home.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

How does two = nothing?

Oh!  Yesterday...

milo

• Old Timer

Better off going later, see where everyone is and fish where they aren't.

LOL! This is by far the most wholesome and truthful piece of advice ever published on a fishing forum.
Fortunately, the herd factor is prevalent and most people will stick to the more popular and crowded holes, making the Vedder still enjoyable to fish.

milo

• Old Timer

You see anyone around? ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:46:10 PM by milo »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Bravo bravo Milo! I'll be out there tomorrow

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

You Rock dude!

Floater

• Old Timer

Must of of been a hell of a fight, what weight is your fly rod?
[

milo

• Old Timer

Must of of been a hell of a fight, what weight is your fly rod?

It was a great fight. Took me almost to the end of my backing three times. The rod is a powerful 8-weight, but I still felt under-gunned.
Didn't expect such a fresh-from-the-ocean angry SOB. It earned its release and hopefully, the chance to spawn.

Many thanks to a fellow FWR member, ribolovac, for his help with tailing it and the photo op.
I was running out of steam and didn't have a camera on me.

243Pete

Water is getting quite low again, dropping a bit steadily and now the bite is really short first thing in the morning. Landed my first coho of the season this morning, a wild doe around 4lb. Saw another similar size hatchery fish landed. Chinook salmon were still active, but for some reason were not too interested in our roe unlike last week.

Water was fairly cool this morning but by around 10-11 it started to feel a little warmer and that is around when the fish started to hit. The water level moved down but not a lot.
I landed two springs today, the doe I landed had a giant 3/0 octopus hook stuck deep in the middle of the back...  its clear the person was intentionally snagging it as the hook was tied up without a means to hold bait.

milo

• Old Timer

Water was fairly cool this morning but by around 10-11 it started to feel a little warmer and that is around when the fish started to hit. The water level moved down but not a lot.
I landed two springs today, the doe I landed had a giant 3/0 octopus hook stuck deep in the middle of the back... its clear the person was intentionally snagging it as the hook was tied up without a means to hold bait.

I wouldn't jump to your conclusion based on the way the hook was tied. Maybe the person was fishing a corky or a spin glo, which floated away when the fish broke off.
To me, the size of the hook (3/0 - holly crap! :o) is far more indicative of snagging intentions than how it's tied.

243Pete

I wouldn't jump to your conclusion based on the way the hook was tied. Maybe the person was fishing a corky or a spin glo, which floated away when the fish broke off.
To me, the size of the hook (3/0 - holly crap! :o) is far more indicative of snagging intentions than how it's tied.
True, the possiblity of that is high. I just feel that a hook tied with a clinch knot seems more like a fast act to getting a hook into a 30 pound leader.
Hahaha! It was more funny when I could see the fish from almost 25 feet out and something very shiney hanging off it's back, I doubt the fish has a thing for piercings especially of the hook kind.  ;)

Oh yeah and very nice spring! can't get more chrome than that on the river. ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:13:25 PM by 243Pete »

Rieber

• Old Timer

Milo,
Your jacket appears to be all wet. Where did you find rain this morning? It's been sunny and warm.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo

What an absolute dime piece of a nookie. Way to go my friend!! ;D