Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Night fishing on a lake... advice & comments please...  (Read 3848 times)

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
Night fishing on a lake... advice & comments please...
« on: July 27, 2007, 10:11:30 AM »

I'm heading up to the interior this long weekend coming up and I think the moon will be out around that time.
I've heard it can be pretty productive fishing will leeches at night.

I tried fishing at night before but found it pretty darn dark! And I'd attract a billion mosquitos when I turned my lantern on...lol... I heard its a challenge trying to play and net a fish because you can't see it.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried fishing at night and how productive it was and any insight. Thanks!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Night fishing on a lake... advice & comments please...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 10:16:58 AM »

Never had much luck when the moon was out. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 10:36:56 AM »

Hey,

Ive been thinking about this as well. I was pondering wether or not a small drop of glow in the dark paint on a bead head might do something but i don't know. Let us know how it turns out.

CandT
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 11:32:02 AM »

Never done it myself, but because I want to do this myself I've read about it and it seems night fishing can be very productive.
At night some fish go into the shallow areas to feed and also to rest without fear of predators.
If the night is clear and full moon anything that flashes might work, (spoons, spinners). Something that small amont of light can reflect off of.
Apparently they bite flashy things especially since they can't quite tell what it is.
If it's dark then bait might work if you can see your strike indicator.
Also fish tend to be close to the surface so you might want to try dry flies as well.
Hope this helps and good luck.

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 12:15:30 PM »

At night some fish go into the shallow areas to feed and also to rest without fear of predators.

When I was paddling around in the dark - I noticed that the deeper areas of the bays I travelled through showed absolutely no fish (on my finder). It was almost spooky. These were areas that during the daytime my fish finder would show fish. So I think you're right - that at night the fish head out to very shallow waters.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 11:03:18 AM »

A group of us were hooking fish last weekend in about 2-4 feet of water on sprately's, leeches and other big flies.  Big fish too, snapping 4 lb test just like that.  They would take dries as well as long as it wasn't too dark.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 12:17:04 PM »

Also, remember to be very familiar with the lake you will be night fishing on. Any danger spots such as partially submerged logs, other obstructions will become very hard to see in the dark. Also, mark your take out spot well, as that will save you sometime when you finally come off the lake.

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 02:45:22 PM »

leech fishing is alot of fun at night since leeches are nocturnal, i've caught quite a few at night but not as many at day
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 04:41:42 PM »

that's pretty cool feedback.

good advice with marking your in and out on the lake. lol. luckily there were campers enjoying a fire when i headed back in one night. i realized though that had they not been there - it would have been a long night trying to land the boat!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 08:31:59 PM »

Headlamp helps as well to tie knots at night and to unhook fish.

emac

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 10:25:20 PM »

For what it's worth I've had very good success night fishing in Utah and Arizona mountains with a full moon.  Most times I fished from about 2am till 6am with best success fishing with a bubble and wooly bugger. The key to my success with wooly buggers were ones that had flash on the shank.  A very very slow retrieve was also key.  Fishing a worm and bobber was also success in shallow water around 6-8 ft.  Not sure how successful this would be in this area but it'd be worth a try.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 12:27:42 AM »

u can buy glow in the dark bead heads for chronies

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 09:29:20 PM »

Night fishing can be very productive. The big preditors move into the shore line at that time. Work the water 2 to 4 feet deep. Yes it's a tuff go for gear heads, this is where us dry addicts have the edge. Take along some work gloves to release the bats. Yes expect to catch bats, they are out hunting flies at that time.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 10:10:45 PM »

Wear a life preserver if you're going out on a boat at night. You'ld be pretty darn disoriented if you fell in the water at night.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 09:33:33 AM »

I've done all right for trout after dark with flies.  If there are large fish feeding on or near the surface, you will be able to hear them.   If you don't use any light, your eyes should adapt enough to do the things you need to do if there is any moon at all.

Here in Mexico, on the Urique river, the best time to go fishing for catfish is after dark, since most of them hide out under rocks and in caves during the day.