Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buntsen Lake  (Read 3524 times)

jimmywits

Buntsen Lake
« on: November 07, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »

Heading up to Buntsen tomorrow morning, anybody else going to be there ? What time is the gate open?

Electroman

Re: Buntsen Lake
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »

Not sure about a time due to the shortening days. Found a number on the hydro website saying to call the warden for gate opening times.
 Buntzen Lake Warden's office 604 469 9679.
Hope that helps.

jimmywits

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »

Not sure about a time due to the shortening days. Found a number on the hydro website saying to call the warden for gate opening times.
 Buntzen Lake Warden's office 604 469 9679.
Hope that helps.

Opens at 8 AM, thanks

jimmywits

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:37:19 AM »

Drove up there and the sign says open at 8:30 am not 8:00 am as the guy on the phone said, also the road to the boat launch was barricaded as there is flodding again. Not sure what the cause is this year, but it would have been nice if the guy on the phone at the gate house had voluntarily offered that bit of info up!

Electroman

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »

Haha that's no good. Did you get any fishing in? I have never fished there myself.

jimmywits

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »

Haha that's no good. Did you get any fishing in? I have never fished there myself.
Not today, I only had my boat and the launch road was barricaded right at the parking lot which is too far for me to pack my boat in myself. I went down to Sassamat Lake to see if either service vehicle lanes were open but they were both locked and there were no maintenance trucks around. Commo Lake just didn't appeal to me today and Deer lake has not had any fish stocked since mid springtime.
So, I'll come up with plan B while this weather holds out.

Just talked to another guy up there and he is telling me that they will allow you to drive down the launch road by the weekend, so we can launch car toppers, even if the actaull launch ramp is still underwater.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:20:14 PM by jimmywits »

Electroman

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »

That's to bad you couldn't even get the lines wet. I've heard the fishing can be fairly good in the lakes you've mentioned. I've grown up river fishing so the lake stuff is a new game to me.

jimmywits

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »

That's to bad you couldn't even get the lines wet. I've heard the fishing can be fairly good in the lakes you've mentioned. I've grown up river fishing so the lake stuff is a new game to me.
Any questions you have, I will be happy to try to help out, I mostly flyfish stillwater but I should try rivers more!

Electroman

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »

I appreciate it. My biggest head scratched is what fly to use but I am getting more of a handle on it the more I go. Really enjoying chronomid fishing in the interior. Hopefully Santa brings me a small electric for my 8' car topper because I'm getting tired of kicking a belly boat around.

jimmywits

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »

I appreciate it. My biggest head scratched is what fly to use but I am getting more of a handle on it the more I go. Really enjoying chronomid fishing in the interior. Hopefully Santa brings me a small electric for my 8' car topper because I'm getting tired of kicking a belly boat around.
For your 8 ft car topper, a set of oars is all you need in the smaller lakes and if you troll wet fly's, rowing imparts a much more realistic motion on your nymph immitation than the steady speed of a motor. Trolling fly's is a very productive method to get started catching fish on fly's. Pick yourself up a used copy of a book called " The Gilly " written or at least compiled by a chap named Alf Davy, that is the very best advice I could offer a new flyfisher!!
tight lines
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:57:40 AM by jimmywits »

Electroman

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 09:38:35 AM »

I was thinking of oars before the electric as well. How do you choose the length of oar to buy? When I went to get a pair there was a good selection of sizes.

jimmywits

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »

I was thinking of oars before the electric as well. How do you choose the length of oar to buy? When I went to get a pair there was a good selection of sizes.
Hey electroman, there is a simple formula for oar size, but I cannot recall it, so I'm sure you will track it down.
I will measure my oars tomorrow as my pram is about 7 feet and my oars are perfect, so if you add a bit on that should do it for you.

Electroman

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 05:41:57 PM »

I found a formula for oar length that reminds me of school but I will try it out.

X = 1/2 boat width + 2"
Length = X/7 x 25

jimmywits

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »

I found a formula for oar length that reminds me of school but I will try it out.

X = 1/2 boat width + 2"
Length = X/7 x 25
My pram is about 7 feet long and almost 4 feet wide, my oars are 6 ft long, but there is wriggle room.
On another note, I was up at Buntsen Lake today and was really slaying them, the fish were commiting suicide. I was using a olive colored Spratley on my intermediate clear sinking line and a light brown colored leech pattern without a bead head on my type three sinking line. Both lines were prodicing equally as well and I did not change them all day!. I had more double headers than I can remember ever having before.
All fish were caught fairly close to the shore line, just over the drop off in the southern end of the lake.
Did you track down a used copy of "The Gilly"yet?

tight lines
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:30:45 PM by jimmywits »