Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ottawa Moves Against PEI Lab Re Fish Farm Virus  (Read 8994 times)

brownmancheng

Re: Ottawa Moves Against PEI Lab Re Fish Farm Virus
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 09:04:34 AM »

Would you?
If so, please contact me as I have some snakeoil for sale ::)

Nib, you can trust me ;D
Too funny

StillAqua

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »

Let's not forget that it was Kibenge's Lab that discovered the ISA virus in the Chile farmed salmon which was eventually traced back to Norway.

That has to raise a lot of questions, like why didn't the Norwegian lab detect ISA in Chile? Shouldn't they perhaps be questioning the CFIA's scientists results and the other "researchers" results rather than the results from someone who has proven he knows what he is doing?

There's nothing unique about Kibenge's lab...he buys and uses the same off the shelf PCR machines and nucleic acid detection kits that everyone else does. He was just the first to test the Chile fish for ISAv.

There's a basic tenet in science...if other researchers can't repeat your work and get the same results, you were in error and the data should be dismissed. Other labs are not finding the ISAv viral signatures Kibenge claims to find. And now OIE has looked at his lab protocols and may pull his designation, suggesting something is wrong in how his lab controls for false positives. All it takes is some poorly supervised grad students cutting corners on the weekend or a malfunctioning fume hood venting contaminants back into the lab.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »

There's a basic tenet in science...if other researchers can't repeat your work and get the same results, you were in error and the data should be dismissed. Other labs are not finding the ISAv viral signatures Kibenge claims to find. And now OIE has looked at his lab protocols and may pull his designation, suggesting something is wrong in how his lab controls for false positives. All it takes is some poorly supervised grad students cutting corners on the weekend or a malfunctioning fume hood venting contaminants back into the lab.

I suggest there is a lot of guessing going on in that post.......   Back it up with some links and perhaps we can find some truth in it.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »

What's this!?
All the fish farming dudes have mustache damn it... ;D ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 08:19:19 PM »

I suggest there is a lot of guessing going on in that post.......   Back it up with some links and perhaps we can find some truth in it.

At this point I would have to agree with AF.  Although it may be suspicious that other labs come up with different results we do not know the whole story.  It is hard to deduce much of this from the media reports right now.  I am sure that the OIE will do what it needs to do and more information will follow in due course.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »

At this point I would have to agree with AF. 

Can I use that in my signature line?  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

StillAqua

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 04:27:27 AM »

Fair enough.

In CFIA's response to the Tyee reporter about their audit which preceeded the independent one conducted by the OIE shortly afterwards:
http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/Food-Farming/2012/11/23/CFIA_questions_accuracy/

In response to your request for additional information related to the audit conducted by the CFIA of the Atlantic Veterinary College laboratories, the objective of the CFIA audit was to assess laboratory capability in biocontainment, quality assurance program and validation of Infectious Salmon Anaemia (ISA) test methods performed at the OIE ISA reference laboratory at the Atlantic Veterinary College (AVC) to assess conformity with acceptable practices.

The audit findings recognized that the OIE ISA reference laboratory at the AVC has a solid foundation of knowledge on ISA disease however the audit noted a number of weaknesses and gaps in the area of quality assurance and the validation of test methods used which could possibly lead to inconsistent results.

As the Canadian delegate to the 178 member country World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE), Dr. Evans received advisement from the Delegate of another OIE member country of concerns that samples submitted to the OIE ISA reference laboratory at the AVC as part of a disease investigation in their country had given results that were not consistent with the results they had received from other laboratories to whom they had also submitted samples. It was determined that the disease was not in fact present in the other country.

Following discussion with the Dean of the Atlantic Veterinary College it was agreed that there was a need to understand the basis of the discrepancy in the test results. As a result, both Dr. Evans and the Delegate of the other country informed the OIE Central Bureau and asked that an independent assessment be conducted by an international panel of subject matter experts.

Those are false positives they are talking about. Kibenges methods are in his published papers and discussed in the days and documents of the Cohen Inquiry. You'll have to go back there yourself AF. Miller uses somewhat different methods.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 07:37:05 AM »

I'm having trouble finding anything related to your previous comment in that link....  "All it takes is some poorly supervised grad students cutting corners on the weekend or a malfunctioning fume hood venting contaminants back into the lab."

???

StillAqua

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »

I'm having trouble finding anything related to your previous comment in that link....  "All it takes is some poorly supervised grad students cutting corners on the weekend or a malfunctioning fume hood venting contaminants back into the lab."

???
I wasn't saying that's his problem AF. I'm saying there are a host of possible problems for a lab whose testing methods are sensitive to background contamination like an RT-PCR lab. I'm just speaking from my university experience as a trace-metal lab rat.....there are lots of things that can go wrong with lab protocols that aren't easy to track. It's likely we'll never know why OEI suspends any lab's credentials after an audit unless the lab makes it public.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 11:41:31 PM »

I read that particular article from the Tyee before.  Although we do not know the whole story yet from the OIE, I do not believe Ms Morton’s version of events in the Tyee article.  For one thing her version does not jive with what the Dean of the AVC and Dr. Evans appear to be saying.   More importantly, even if the CFIA asked the OIE to strip AVC lab of its reference designation it is up to the OIE to make that determination whether to strip a laboratory of its OIE reference designation and decide whether things have been straighten out enough for reinstatement – not the CFIA.  Morton is just trying to do her best to deflect attention away from this audit and focus it back on the CFIA.  I can see why Morton is focusing her assault on the CFIA because it is a easy target for her after the inquiry and it is a easy rallying cry for her supporters; however, she might want to start asking the OIE some questions seeing as though they are the ones that determine whether the AVC lab is an OIE ISA reference lab or not.  Even if BC is designated ISAV positive there is still much about these sequences being found that are a mystery.  If you read Vol. 2 of the Cohen Report (Summary of Decline-Related Evidence and Findings) Cohen discusses how the panel of experts on this topic could not come to an agreement on whether ISAV or an ISAV –like virus is present in wild salmon here.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 11:50:06 PM »

Can I use that in my signature line?  ;D

;D

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »

Im baaaaaacccckkk..........
So lemme get this straight because of Routledge, a statustician not a biologist, we could be losing the Atlantic Labs.
http://www.globaltvbc.com/sfu+professors+report+of+deadly+salmon+virus+in+bc+tied+up+federal+resources+for+months/6442764467/story.html
Take the T out of Morton.

dnibbles

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »

Im baaaaaacccckkk..........
So lemme get this straight because of Routledge, a statustician not a biologist, we could be losing the Atlantic Labs.
http://www.globaltvbc.com/sfu+professors+report+of+deadly+salmon+virus+in+bc+tied+up+federal+resources+for+months/6442764467/story.html
Bahahaha awesome photo in the article!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 04:45:37 PM »

Welcome back Basso!  Not much has changed but I think Chris was concerned because you hadn't posted for a while ..

Gotta love a flossed sockeye photo ;)