Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mill Lake ????  (Read 6828 times)

joska

• Old Timer
Re: Mill Lake ????
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 07:12:48 AM »

for bass in mill lake. spinnerbaits, texas rigged soft plastics< worms, craws/creature baits> but i have seen some jigs work wonders.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

noobfisher

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »

for bass in mill lake. spinnerbaits, texas rigged soft plastics< worms, craws/creature baits> but i have seen some jigs work wonders.

whoops I meant to say crappie ... any tips for them joska?

Sam6140

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 03:40:43 PM »

I just checked out Mill Lake today, but didn't fish.  Was in Abbotsford for a wedding, and I'm rarely out there, as I live in Coquitlam.  I keep my rod and tackle box in the car, and badly wanted to fish it, but I was with the GF, and she would nag lol.  I would fish in my suit and all - wouldn't care for a bit.   Do you guys carry some fishing gear with you in the car at all times too? LOL

So, off the wooden boardwalk...WOW... I saw the biggest fish that I have ever seen swimming in the water.  The water is only 2 feet deep, and there was this huge Carp or goldfish.. easily 2 to 3 feet long, and like 6-8 inches wide!  Must have weighed 15-20 lbs.  It was just casually cruising around the dock, and didn't even get spooked by people or the ducks swimming above it lol.   Then I saw a decent sized catfish about a foot long just swimming around.    Are there other fish around the boardwalk, even though it's so shallow?

The water was pretty clear around the boardwalk.   Are those two logs sticking out of the water about 10-20 yards away from the boardwalk is the spot to try, that was mentioned earlier in this thread? 

Checked out Albert Dyck Lake....that lake looks neat.  It's so clear!!  And it drops off real fast.  Saw two little bass swimming around the dock.   Would worms or a lure work better at Albert Dyck Lake?   And how about Mill Lake?   It's just that Mill lake is shallow at parts, and full of weeds and plants, so lure fishing might get annoying. lol   I don't have a boat, so any suggestions regarding shore fishing would be nice.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:48:09 PM by Sam6140 »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 04:03:24 PM »

I was trying down by the boardwalk with my 2 daughters in our boat, but did not get a bite.  I not only keep my rod in the trunk at all times, this summer I have kept my boat in there too.  You never know when you might want to get off shore a little, especially with those pinks swimming around out there.
Not all those who wander are lost

strobes

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »

I just checked out Mill Lake today, but didn't fish.  Was in Abbotsford for a wedding, and I'm rarely out there, as I live in Coquitlam.  I keep my rod and tackle box in the car, and badly wanted to fish it, but I was with the GF, and she would nag lol.  I would fish in my suit and all - wouldn't care for a bit.   Do you guys carry some fishing gear with you in the car at all times too? LOL

So, off the wooden boardwalk...WOW... I saw the biggest fish that I have ever seen swimming in the water.  The water is only 2 feet deep, and there was this huge Carp or goldfish.. easily 2 to 3 feet long, and like 6-8 inches wide!  Must have weighed 15-20 lbs.  It was just casually cruising around the dock, and didn't even get spooked by people or the ducks swimming above it lol.   Then I saw a decent sized catfish about a foot long just swimming around.    Are there other fish around the boardwalk, even though it's so shallow?

The water was pretty clear around the boardwalk.   Are those two logs sticking out of the water about 10-20 yards away from the boardwalk is the spot to try, that was mentioned earlier in this thread? 

Checked out Albert Dyck Lake....that lake looks neat.  It's so clear!!  And it drops off real fast.  Saw two little bass swimming around the dock.   Would worms or a lure work better at Albert Dyck Lake?   And how about Mill Lake?   It's just that Mill lake is shallow at parts, and full of weeds and plants, so lure fishing might get annoying. lol   I don't have a boat, so any suggestions regarding shore fishing would be nice.  Thanks!

i have had some success with lures off the dock on the north side of the lake (west of the boardwalk)  its deep enough and weeds are very minimal there. i have yet to bring in any extra veggies on the spoons i do toss and retrieve there.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

Sam6140

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 08:21:47 PM »

lol @ strobes (extra veggies)...and thanks!   Thanks Sandman - I totally hear ya!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:47:26 PM by Sam6140 »

Sam6140

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »

Is Mill Lake a natural lake?   I don't see any inlets or outlets.  Does it rely solely on rain water?   Does the lake in Albert Dyck Park (which I know is an old gravel pit)rely only on rain water too - cause the water level is pretty damn high considering the lack of rain we've had the past week or two.   I was surprised to see plants growing underwater at Albert Dyck Lake.  I always assumed, before going there, that is was going to be weedless.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:48:42 PM by Sam6140 »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »

Is Mill Lake a natural lake?   I don't see any inlets or outlets.  Does it rely solely on rain water?   Does the lake in Albert Dyck Park (which I know is an old gravel pit)rely only on rain water too - cause the water level is pretty damn high considering the lack of rain we've had the past week or two.   I was surprised to see plants growing underwater at Albert Dyck Lake.  I always assumed, before going there, that is was going to be weedless.

I do not know about Albert Dyck, but Mill lake is natural.  It used to be the sorting pond for the old Abbotsford Lumber Co mill.  I think the outlet is on the East side and flows towards Ware, but it is likely a culverted storm drain now.
Not all those who wander are lost