Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mill Lake ????  (Read 6827 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Mill Lake ????
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »

Has anyone been to Mill Lake recently ???? I will be getting visitors next week and they have small kids , can you catch fish off the dock to keep small kids interested ??

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Mill Lake ????
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:41:10 PM »

Drove by it today, there were people fishing, so there must be fish ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

zztop

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 07:28:46 AM »

Good choice ,a great place for kids.I was there last week to visit some off the old timers and they were still getting a few trout of the dock on power bait  and worms.I take young fishers there a lot.When they get bored in about 30 minutes try along the chain link fence at the east end, behind the town houses in the shallow water always lots of blue gills or crappies with worms.Don,t be afraid to ask the the guys and girls on the dock,they cant wait to help the kids catch fish.

strobes

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:22:29 AM »

Mill lake has been great. I started fishing there about a month ago when I was looking for somewhere close and nice to where I live. Now I go almost every Sunday morning as well I try to get out there once or twice during the week. Fishing off the dock has been good. If you have a slip float to make reaching different depths easy that's the best. Baits that the guys use are dew worms, power bait, single eggs, deli shrimp, and krill.  A lot of fish have been caught from small newly stocked trout to big 5lb broodstock trout, as well as catfish and pumpkinseed. Is the dock is full there are other spots around the shore as long as you can cast a decent distance.  I honestly used to kinda think mill lake was a joke, but have since started to love the place with it's good fishing and friendly old timers to talk to.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »

I took my kids there last week.  A few fish caught including trout and a crappie.
Not all those who wander are lost

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:49:10 AM »

The last stocking (500 fish) occurred just a couple of weeks ago, quite late compared to past seasons. Combining that with the cooler weather, it's not surprising fishing has been consistent.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »

dont forget the huge bass that call that lake home...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

1son

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 09:50:03 PM »

Been there a few times not too bad if u don't mind big crowds the docks are usually packed but there's access around the lake good luck

Sam6140

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 11:40:04 PM »

I always wanted to try it.  When visiting some of my friends in Abby, I have walked along that dock/wooden walkway off Bourquin Drive/Road by those townhouses.  The water looked muddy, and I couldn't see the bottom.  How deep is it there?  Is there fish around that part of the lake?   Would I have good success using my usual worm and bobber?

strobes

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:46:11 AM »

The water off the dock is about 16 feet I think. At the east end of the lake it is very shallow and the middle is about 30 I think. And a worm and bobber is just fine. That's what I'm using most often and having a lot of success.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

jacked55

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 08:25:36 AM »

this is a link to a good resource i found for lakes. it shows you all the depths for pretty much any lake you can think of.

http://www.anglersatlas.com/lakes/1258/

Sam6140

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 02:30:58 PM »

thanks strobes, and jacked55: that's an awesome resource - thanks!! 

fishgutz63

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »

fishing along the wooden walkway is pretty good for bass if you can cast out towards the logs that are half submerged close by  ;)

noobfisher

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »

what baits/lures do you recommend for bass at mill? plastic worms, plastic minnows, spinners, live worms on a float?

Sam6140

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »

I'm kinda psyched to try it out now.  Is Mill Lake busy around the wooden walkway during the week?  It being summer and all....  I could make a day out of it, go to Mill Lake, and Albert Dyck park.  Thanks fishgutz63 - great tip!  It's shallow around the logs though, right?