Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good lake to bring Dad?  (Read 6564 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Good lake to bring Dad?
« on: March 07, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »

Hey Fellow fly fishermen. I am a fish-a-holic.  I've grown up with a rod in my hands.  Lived in Northern Ontario until early twenties.  Late 30's now.  I've finally convinced my Dad to come out to visit in June.  He is late 50's.  We are both very capable of camping, but was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to a decent lake with affordable cabins for rent.  I've been targeting trout in a couple of catch and release lakes and have become accustomed to lakes which yield larger numbers of fish.  Never fished these lakes but ones that I have been considering are, Hihium, Tunkwa/Leighton, Roche, Dragon.  Dragon sounds good, but the fact that it is right in town turns me off.  It'd be nice to fish a lake with the back in the woods feeling. 
Looked at Douglas lake ranch, but this is way too expensive.  Like, 130 bucks per guy just to fish Minnie?  No thanks.

Any feedback appreciated.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Good lake to bring Dad?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 02:21:36 PM »

out of those lakes i would probably hit Roche. Tunkwa/Leighton doesnt have any trees left in the campgrounds due to pine beetle, it also can get quite windy. I have always wanted to fish Dragon but the stories of huge trout seems to be a thing of the past now, it also gets very busy with fisherman out there.
If you want some easy camping and chances of big fish why not try staying at Logan Lake in the campground. I have landed fish to 12lbs in that lake but only managed netting one at 6 1/2-7lbs. There is of course smaller fish but there is a good chance at getting the bigger ones especially just as dark is taking over  ;)
You could try heading up to Burnell (Sawmill) lake, this lake also has some biggens in it.

try googling around for awhile because you can find loads of info on lakes if you look. Also try buying a backroads book because it has brief write ups about the lakes in the region it covers.

What are you looking for in a lake ?? amount of fish or size of fish ??
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

whereismyfloat

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »

I used to do an annual trip up to Hihium Lake. You can call Ron & Missy at the Circle W Ranch and they will truck you in to the lake, set you up in a cabin and a boat. They have about 6 or so rustic cabins on the lake. It can definitely get cold there in summer. I've fished in the snow in June before. Fishing is pretty good. Average size fish would be about 14" but you can certainly do better. The ranch rents wooden punts with 6hp Mercs (At least that was the set up a few years back). It's always been a great time.

Note though: the cabins truly are rustic. Wood burning stoves, ice block refrigerators, no electricity. The shower is 1/2 an oak barrel that sits on the roof. You fill it up with lake water pouring it through a micro screen. Water drains from the bottom of the barrel through a hose into a copper coil hidden within a cylinder. You light a fire at the base of the cylinder. The fire heats the water which rises up the coil and pours back into the top of the barrel. You keep the fire going for about an hour and in about 3 hours time, you have a lovely hot shower in the middle of nowhere.

wizard

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:03:43 PM »

I stayed at Chataway Lakes resort a long time ago.  It was pretty good. Lots of other lakes in the area to explore as well. Fishing is good for wild rainbows that don't get overly big, but they fight like dickens.  I'd recommend it, I even got my mom into her first fish!!!  Trolling a royal coachman on an adjusta bobber.   :)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »

there are a couple lake near Chataway that can produce some nice fish but yes on average the fish are around 14-16" and fight like they are 4lbers  ;D
Check out our new blog

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:52:47 PM »

Thanks to the replies so far.  I like the Hihium idea the best so far.  I do have my own boat, however it's only a 10 foot john boat.   Big water with wind is a problem.  Logan lake is just like dragon, it's right in town.  I like the idea of being in the wilderness. 

Any other suggestions??

What about Peterhope?  The only cabin I saw so far was a 4 bedroom    1800/week.    Too much.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:56:31 PM by Driller »
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:42:34 PM »

Peterhope is a quite deep lake and fishing can be very good but usually is quite tough and spotty fishing. Not a great place unless your a quite seasoned fly fisher especially if the fish have gone deep  >:(

Info on Peterhope for you - http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/explore/high_country/merritt/peterhop.htm

To be honest if your going in June you can hit any lake even the ones in the 5000 foot elevation and have some great fishing.

If you are really pressed for a cabin then perhaps Hihium would be best. Here is a tidbit of info for this lake, sounds like a pretty good lake being shallow as it is. shallow lakes grow big fish, Fast !

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/explore/high_country/clinton/hihium.htm
Check out our new blog

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »

Another vote for Chattaway Lake Resort. The cabins are rustic, and there are plenty of lakes nearby to visit, which keeps things a little more interesting if you want a bit of variety. As an added bonus... they fish fairly well throughout the summer months.
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...