Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thanks to our Vets  (Read 4808 times)

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Thanks to our Vets
« on: June 06, 2004, 01:27:40 PM »

Just wanted to say a big thanks for our way of life on this, the 60th Anniversary of the allied landings at D-Day.  We may not have had the society as we know today that gives us this opportunity to drop a line in many places for a chance at world-class fishing, nor any of the freedoms we take for granted.

So a big thank you to all those who have stepped up to fight tyranny and oppression when called upon.  I certainly enjoy living in this country with its fantastic cultural diversity and amazing opportunities in all walks of life...

So, a quote to end upon.

"Never before has so much been owed by so many to so few."

- Winston Churchill

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re:Thanks to our Vets
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 03:31:07 PM »

Well said. I will visit my 89 year old dad tonight who served during the Second World War overseas working in a hospital in England. I will print your remarks GoldHammeredCrocs as he will appreciate them very much.

He was watching the D- Day programs on TV today and I am sure they brought back many memories to him.

He tells me often of the injured from the D-Day landing coming to his hospital daily. He did not return home to us until a year after the war ended.

As I was born in 1943 he missed some of my early years but I was one of the lucky ones as I had a dad that did return home while many others did not, paying the supreme sacrifice.

We must never forget what so many did for us as you have noted GHCroc.

I will hold off printing your message incase others may add something for him to read.

I print interesting items from this site often which he really enjoys reading being a very avid fisherman for nearly 80 years.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 05:29:58 PM »

I too want to simply say thanks to all our vets for their courageous efforts. Without them we would not be here today enjoying our freedom

otto

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 06:09:54 PM »

big thanks to all the Veterans who made this country a free country. thank you!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 06:22:49 PM »

Yes - a huge thank you goes out to those that can hear, and those that are no longer with us.  I can't imagine what would have happened if Hitler had held off the invasion.

http://www.blogontheweb.com/dragonspeed/archive/2004/06/05/10879.aspx

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 08:18:45 AM »

I concur!