Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River November 12th  (Read 2126 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Squamish River November 12th
« on: November 12, 2004, 08:11:19 PM »

Not much to report really.... Spent the morning scouting about with Steelhead King and Itosh. I think we walked, took photos and filmed more than we dropped a line in the water. ;D

Went down to just below mouth of Mamquam during the last hour of the day to hit the high tide. Waves of fresh fish did move in. Ended up bonking two chrome does. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish River November 12th
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 08:41:54 PM »

We arrived at our secret spot this morning and there was absolutely nobody fishing. We had the run to ourselves.  :D ;D There were a few fish finning but not nearly as much as last week.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 09:39:28 PM by Fish Assassin »

smoqqy

• i'm a drifter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 08:45:42 PM »

hey Rod!
it's that you  with the center pin and a buddy?
looking for the mustache,the one i've seen is just clean shaven ;D
had a good day,first fish in the morning is a chromer but did'nt keep.(too early) wait until the incoming tide in the afternoon,lots of fish but most are colored. hook up a nice one,thought it's in the mouth,wrong,right by the neck,,gently release.
nothing to keep today but still a great day for me. :)
tight lines!
jon

gman

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 09:40:15 PM »

Rod, it sounds like Fishon and I did the same day as you  but in reverse order.

Started off the day on the lower river and caught some chum, then went exploring. We also saw railroad tracks, bear poops, and lots of headless fish (leftover bear dinner). Ended off the day with a chrome surprise for FishOn.   8) A very nice day.  :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 09:47:51 PM by gman »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 09:57:16 PM »

I walked into my regular spot and in 5.5 hrs fishing hooked/landed over 40 fish. :o
Never moved more than 10 feet in any direction except to pass water/kill~clean fish.
Just finished making another big bunch of Ikura!

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 10:45:40 PM »

Sam, just curious how you make your Ikura. Is it anything like the recipe below:

Salmon caviar is second only to sturgeon in quality. To make red caviar you need a piece of 1/4" to 1/2" mesh screen at least one foot square, depending on the egg size. first choice is plastic or stainless steel but plain steel can be coated with vegetable oil and galvanized can be coated with resin. Separate the eggs from the membrane by gently rubbing the skein of eggs over the screen. Discard the membrane and blood vessels remaining on the screen after most of the eggs have passed through. Make an 80 deg sal brine [1 cup + 2 tbs salt to 1 qt water]. Gently stir the eggs in the cooled brine from 15 to 30 min. The uptake of salt will depend on the maturity of the eggs; they should become opalescent. Do not over salt. drain for 8 hours. Keep cool but above 40 deg so the eggs do not congeal. Pack into jars. Refrigerate between 34 and 36 deg. up to a year. Over 40 deg it will have a very short life.

N.B. Once sealed in jars it MUST be kept refrigerated at all times to
prevent possible BOTULISM. some caviars can be pasteurized with minimal loss of flavor and color but not salmon. Rely on good refrigeration instead. Extracted from: Smoking Salmon & Trout by Jack Whelan. Published by: Airie Publishing, Deep Bay, B.C. ISBN: 0-919807-00-3 Posted by: Jim Weller

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 10:55:22 PM »

hey Rod!
it's that you  with the center pin and a buddy?

Hey Jon, I don't think that was me lol.... Maybe it was Chronic? Go down halfway of this post. 8) I wasn't being the usual poser like I usually am, today I shied away with the usual baitcasting setup. ;D Today's setup was Shimano Scorpion 1500 and Stryker 2106. The combination worked just fine. I was a bit afraid that the rod maybe too tiring for chum.

Rod, it sounds like Fishon and I did the same day as you  but in reverse order.

That's funny, we probably drove by each other today. I was so sure that I saw the truck. ;D Congrat FishOn with the chromer. ;)

I just finished cutting the fish up for brining. Blah, that took a while.... Now it's ikura and roe curing time. :) It never ends. ;)

Also, while we were filming some spawning fish today.... JBB came running down to where we were and introduced himself. It was a pleasure meeting and talking to you. :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 11:29:28 PM by Rodney »