Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon Rod Options  (Read 5018 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Sturgeon Rod Options
« on: September 22, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »

Well I broke my trusty 7' Lamiglas Big Game rod a week ago and now I'm looking for a replacement. I'm a little out of the loop on this since I've been fishing the same rod for about 10 years now. I would gladly buy another, but they don't make them any more. What I'm looking for is a 7' one piece extra heavy rated rod with a strong butt end and a sensitive tip. I also want a full metal reel seat and a tough handle material (cork seems to chew up in holders). I have a flexible budget for this, so please suggest anything that seems to fit.

chronicfisher

Re: Sturgeon Rod Options
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:42:50 AM »

I'm assuming your fishing from boat? Noticed your old rod is only 1 piece 7ft.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 11:38:49 AM »

Yes, that is correct.

sg6804

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »

if you are willing to go to an 8ft rod it gives you many more options . The 8ft techniums are an awesome rod and well priced and never have given me a problem . if price isn't an problem then go with the Lamiglas Sturgeon rod it has everything you want and is my favorite rod . I now have a pair of both the 8ft and the 9ft models . Fred's sells the lamiglas rods as well as the techs so you can compare them side by side

Magz

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 12:25:40 PM »

X 2 on the technium.very happy with mine.my dad uses the same rod.very sensitive tip with all the back bone u will need.they do no have a metal reel seat.although they seem to hold up great.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 01:08:08 PM »

sg6804, can you link to the Lamiglas model you're talking about? I can't seem to find it online. I've seen plenty of the Techniums, but I'm not really a fan of them. For one thing they don't seem to have a stiff butt-end of the rod so even a medium size fish has the rod completely corked. The second is as Magz mentioned; no metal reel seat.

I was looking at the Shimano Terez rods online. I'm not sure where stock's them, because I'd like go go feel one in my hands.

Magz

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »

I saw the shimano terez ar freds in abby a week ago.

sg6804

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 03:18:34 PM »

They are not on the Lamiglas website for some reason . Freds used to have them on their website but just checked and they are not on it . I know they have them was in the abby store  last week . actually they have the Terez  as well
If I remember the prices right the techs are 189 , the lami 8ft is 320 , the lami 9ft is 350 , the terez is 330 . 

Whole sale in Langley has the Lamis as well but they are low end model with plastic reel seats and different handles 

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 03:53:46 PM »

Are you talking about the lamiglas rods with the blue and silver wraps, all metal guides, and black metal reel seat?

fishman254

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »

If you're on the budget plan, for the money (it's cheap, only $70?), consider the Shakespeare "Ugly Stik" Tiger BWC 2201 70, seven foot, one-piece, 20-50#, Medium action.
Or consider the 30-60#, Medium Heavy action.
But not sure these will be enough power for you? Lighter rods can detect bites better, however. As always, life can be a trade-off.    :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:15:04 PM by fishman254 »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »

I'm not on a budget plan. I am going to put a big reel with a lot of 150 or 200lb PowerPro on the rod. I have a 6'6" Ugly Stik as a back up right now.

Does anyone have experience with the Extra Heavy or Extra Extra Heavy Terez rods?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »

Don't be afraid to give Berrys a call.
Penn also makes some nice rods.
I also prefer the 7 foot or even 6 ft 6 rods as they can put a bit more hurt on the big fish.
Not a fan of the Techniums at all.
I see Amundson has some heavy stix as well but have no experience with them although ive heard nothing but good things about there warranty and service dept.