Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taking pictures of your catch  (Read 6690 times)

Tangles

Taking pictures of your catch
« on: September 20, 2015, 12:56:04 PM »

I wonder what hardware do you guys use to snap a picture of your catch.
I use my crappy iphone camera in a nice waterproof case, but with only 5MP the quality is pretty compromised.
My budget is up to $200 so action cameras like GoPros are out of range. I'm thinking something like a small waterproof point-and-shoot camera that I wouldn't grieve too much if I loose or break.
Best Buy has a 13.5MP Nikon Coolpix for about $150 after tax.
http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10362205&lang=en-CA
It's pretty compact and has easy to use big buttons and I also always liked Nikon as a brand. There's also a plethora of choices on ebay in that price range but I'd like to get something rather quickly and don't want to wait weeks for delivery.
Thank you for your input :)

riptide

Re: Taking pictures of your catch
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »

I use the Olympus Stylus Tough, bullet proof so far, 4th season. 15 ft. waterproof, 5ft. shockproof.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

Tangles

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »

I just looked it up, it's a pretty neat camera but unfortunately out of my price range :/ The whole thing is for $300+ Ill rather pick up a new rod or reel.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 01:24:18 PM by Tangles »

TimL

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 01:25:16 PM »

I have a 12 mp Canon DSLR that I sometimes bring on my trips..takes great pictures but it's just a hassle to bring as it is somewhat bulky. My 8 mp Samsung lll is much more compact and does a decent job for the most part.

redder

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »

it may cost a little more, but sony Z1 smartphones are waterproof and have decent camera's

but that is just going to ramble up your setup unless your not die hard into iphone.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »

The smart pix takes pretty good pics. And has HD video as well, I believe.
There are better more expensive cameras but if you lose it (which can happen, especially along a river or on a hike) it won't hurt so bad
Check out "the Source" they often have in store  deals on this type of thing as they clear the last ones in stock.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 02:19:38 PM »

I have an Olympus Tough 14 megapixel camera.  Pictures are pretty good and you can take it swimming and big water slides with it.  I see the newer versions of is a little bit over your budget, but I think Panasonic Luminx might be in your price range.  Go to Best Buy.ca or the store to check out.

TimL

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »

The smart pix takes pretty good pics. And has HD video as well, I believe.
There are better more expensive cameras but if you lose it (which can happen, especially along a river or on a hike) it won't hurt so bad
Check out "the Source" they often have in store  deals on this type of thing as they clear the last ones in stock.
That's how I got my DSLR last year (Best Buy)..it was a previous year's model and they were clearing stock so I lucked out with a good deal on it- I think I paid around $300 for it, which is a great deal for Canons I think.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:41:47 PM by TimL »

losos

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 10:39:43 PM »

If you looking for action cams there are plenty of them in your price range and of good quality. Just go to  Youtube and find comparos or tests of them. Then you can buy one of Amazon or Ebay. it is that easy.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 11:05:16 PM »

Sjcam sj4000 god love mine it has 1080 p cquailty ordered off amazon better than hero 3

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 11:11:38 PM »

Whatever you do... be sure to #keepemwet

StillAqua

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 05:33:36 AM »

Check out the CGICAMs by Coolgizmo.ca. They are GoPro clones for about $150. Buddy uses one fishing, on his boat, motorbike, ATV......
Craigslist has local retailers listed.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/phd/5221415846.html

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »

I wonder what hardware do you guys use to snap a picture of your catch.
I use my crappy iphone camera in a nice waterproof case, but with only 5MP the quality is pretty compromised.
My budget is up to $200 so action cameras like GoPros are out of range. I'm thinking something like a small waterproof point-and-shoot camera that I wouldn't grieve too much if I loose or break.
Best Buy has a 13.5MP Nikon Coolpix for about $150 after tax.
http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10362205&lang=en-CA
It's pretty compact and has easy to use big buttons and I also always liked Nikon as a brand. There's also a plethora of choices on ebay in that price range but I'd like to get something rather quickly and don't want to wait weeks for delivery.
Thank you for your input :)

Tanges; I know the guy selling this. Tell him you are from FWR he'll cut you a deal.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/pho/5204543310.html

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »

If you would consider a Chinese brand camera I would point you in this direction.

http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_153556.html?wid=2
PLUS http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras-sport-dv-accessories/pp_170859.html

I have a Canon D20 which is great but way overpriced IMO.  This little Xiaomi Yi is sometimes reviewed as better than gopro.  Friend bought one and I am very impressed.

Tangles

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 12:57:27 PM »

Thanks for your replies folks

Whatever you do... be sure to #keepemwet
100% , this is why I need a waterproof cam, camera goes to fish, not the other way around. If I want to take a picture I'd have the camera open and ready BEFORE the fish come closer to shore and this is just another reason to hate iphone, you gotta look at the screen while trying to press several buttons before you are good to go, it just takes too much precious time.