Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: so much for our limited recreational pink fishery ...  (Read 18479 times)

PaulyD

Re: so much for our limited recreational pink fishery ...
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »

Guess they figured out that there actually arent many fish out there as they closed it pretty quick http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=175627&ID=all

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 05:35:13 PM »

Guess they figured out that there actually arent many fish out there as they closed it pretty quick http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=175627&ID=all

What will happen to people's jobs then??  ::) I'm starting to get worried now....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:39:08 PM by RainbowMan »

Chris S

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 05:45:18 PM »

Could have been too high sockeye by-catch mortality rather than lack of fish out there. Wish they posted the reason for the closure.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »

Could have been too high sockeye by-catch mortality rather than lack of fish out there. Wish they posted the reason for the closure.

The seine boats stopped before noon yesterday do to lack of fish. They didn't even pay for fuel.

nosey

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »

Just came back from the river, landed 4 in an hour on a dark pink fly guess the commercials didn't get them all.

RainbowMan

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 05:51:30 PM »

That's highly unlikely. It's too late into the sockeye run and if you look at the number of sockeyes caught in the Albion test net, they've been declining pretty sharply over the last week. There's also NO coho caught at Albion yet for this month.

Chris S

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 06:15:35 PM »

That's highly unlikely. It's too late into the sockeye run and if you look at the number of sockeyes caught in the Albion test net, they've been declining pretty sharply over the last week. There's also NO coho caught at Albion yet for this month.
The Cottonwood and Whonnock test nets don't show much change in sockeye over the past week and I think we are still in the middle of the late run sockeye...which has just been downgraded from 300,000 to 200,000 in return numbers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:18:03 PM by Chris S »

RainbowMan

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2015, 06:21:52 PM »

The seine boats stopped before noon yesterday do to lack of fish. They didn't even pay for fuel.
This is really sad. Not because they didn't catch fish but mainly because of the run size. This is supposed to be the hottest week of the Fraser pink run.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2015, 06:28:32 PM »

There was barely any fish today when I checked it out, two days in row.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »

it was good where I was tuesday - may have landed a dozen. Some were large. I killed a doe of 22 inches and very round. Good sized bucks and I rolled a really big one. Some nice clean fish that fight almost as good as coho. I am not seeing the smaller fish that I saw on the Squamish and Furry Creek. Lots of fish in the 4 lb and 5lb mark so far.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Burbot

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »

Not trying to sound rude or crass but maybe it is time to look for another career?  The writing has been on the wall for many years about the west coast salmon and should be no surprise things are slim and will never return to the 'good old days'...DFO screwed up the east coast fishing and have shown the same incompetence over the years on the west coast.   It really is no longer a good way to make a living anymore.

Fisher2014

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2015, 08:53:46 PM »

This year's pink fishery on the Fraser has broken my faith in fishing as a hobby. I was looking forward to the return of the pink salmon on the Fraser River in Richmond since 2013. What happens this year?... delay the opening, open the river for a fortnight, close it again, open it Sept. 5th ... I was at No. 3 Road and Dyke Road and no one on the river caught any fish today. In 2015 the pink fishery has been an utter waste of time and money on gear.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »

There was barely any fish today when I checked it out, two days in row.

depends where u fish and if u know what u are doing !!!

hrenya

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2015, 09:24:14 PM »

the pink fishery has been an utter waste of time and money on gear.

GO buy it in a store or from fishmarket - max 5$ a fish .
If you complain about money spent vs fish caught - you are "meat fisherman" , me and my bud spent DAYS and HOURS on a river to get few pinks . If you think that you paid x amount of $ and It will be y amount of fish - you are facing a wrong direction .

hrenya

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2015, 09:24:43 PM »

depends where u fish and if u know what u are doing !!!
x2