Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cartopers on the fraser  (Read 6532 times)

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
Re: cartopers on the fraser
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 01:03:56 PM »

I plan on taking my 12ft Zodiak with a 8 horse Merc. I won't be doing too much travelling however. Just enough to jump over to the nearest bars and fish from shore. Should be OK (I hope)  ;D

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 09:46:33 PM »

I"ve been running my flatbottom boats and originally a fairly narrow 12' v-hull on the Fraser for over a decade with a 9.9 mariner.  Used the 12' first for a few years , then the 11' 100 lb. flyfisher, and for the last 8 years a 10' welded flatbottom that probably weighs in at 135+ lbs..  The area of the river I primarily fish at is between Herrling Is. and Hunter Creek.

I've always felt confident running the river but I learned how to read water early on with my dad and cousin on the Skeena.  Don't think I've hit the prop since my very first year on the river while trying to navigate a very shallow channel between Herrling Island and the freeway side of the mainland.

Personally I wouldn't want anything less than a 9.9 just for the sake of being able to move quickly up the river.  Even with my 10'er it would be painfully slow with anything less!

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »

You gotta be careful out there with those smaller boats . I ve seen a couple small boats out on the flow get swamped and had to be rescued  . There are lots of whirlpools around and they can through you around , or , out of your boat . You would need the power to get out of it ! . Stay safe and don't wander off to far from you departure .  :o  8)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

cohojoe

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 01:13:53 PM »

i am not an expert power boat fisherman ;  but wouldnt it be better to have more power than less ?     i was just out with a lodge owner fishing in some big lakes up north.     he had a 115  hp  on his  16  fooot old style heavy fibreglass boat with cabin etc etc.     I  must confess it felt so good to be able to beat off the waves going back to the put in.     So many times we have done it amatuer  and  taken much longer to get back against the flow or against the wind.    We never hit anything  but  I  think if we did;   it would be a wreck of a good fishing trip.     Price of the bigger motor  maybe $ 1,500.    Your life and your buddies  ;  priceless.

Gilbert05

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »

Does anyone know exactly where versus (TV show) did a a special on the Fraser River. It involved spey casting and steelhead?