Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Super Tuning a reel  (Read 6298 times)

oni_kage

Super Tuning a reel
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »

Hi,

I read only about "Super tuning" a reel. Has anyone tried it and what are their experiences with this. Even on Mike's reel repair forum some people suggest some of the steps listed in the below link.

http://super-tuning.home.mindspring.com/i1a.html

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Super Tuning a reel
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 06:38:04 PM »

Lots of info on this sort of upgrading all over the net-I suppose the person who's best organised in terms of photos is Alan Tani he also services reels as a sideline.

I've put Rocket Fuel in my Calcutta bearings , have carbon fibre drags greased and ready to go.

There's so much that can be done I think surf casters (in the USA, Britain and Oz) that use Abu Garcias have gone the furthest.

oni_kage

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:07:24 PM »

Yeah that Alan Tani is great. I used his directions to rebuild and service both my penn 320 gt2's.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:13:01 PM »

Too bad Alan is located in California. We could use a good reel repairs locally (Vancouver area)

oni_kage

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 08:16:23 PM »

I went to Mikes and had my abu 6600 C4 suped up.  It casts as far as my Diawa Luna 300.

I put new spool bearings
ceramic pawl
worm gear bearing
and one gear with a bearing in it (can't remember the name)

I believe you mean the bearing that replaces a bushing on the handle shaft. I am going to do that as well just for a little smoother action and also pick up a ceramic pawl. I would imagine polishing the spool shaft and the inside of the pinon gear would help. Just not sure how difficult it is. BTW, how long did it take you to get your reel back from Mike's... i hear it can take up to 6 weeks

I already bought some xtreme smoothies for the drag and I will install those with cal's drag grease. Greasing my drag discs in my penn 320 gt2 was great. It is so smooth and consistent now, perfect for those hard pulling sturgeon.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 08:18:04 PM by oni_kage »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 08:57:32 PM »

Fishing the salt chuck is hard on the reel. Just took my saltwater reel apart and cleaned/regreased it up. This spinning reel is doing pretty good after 5 years of saltwater use for what I bought it for.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

JL

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »

Hey Mike

Ive used Mike's reel repair to repair my calcutta's as well as supe them up. Ive only put new bearings in and beefed up the drag. Worked out very well, noticable increase in casting distance. Reel is a bit loader now tho but no big deal. First time i heard of polishing the internals but sounds like a neat idea.

It took me approx 4 weeks to get my reel back from Mikes reel repair.

lude98r

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:51:37 PM »

I sent in my quantum to mikes repair shop through my local tackle shop and got it back in 11 months..thats right 11 months

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 09:58:19 PM »

Mike does a good job but sometimes he is overloaded with reels so it takes awhile to get them back... I have a spare for such occasions.  He has done some upgrading for me and I have been very pleased with the results.  Ceramic Drag offers and increase in max drag while providing smooth performance.  I got mine switched on my Calcutta 400 and Daiwa Millionaire CVZ 300 but I think I will get my Daiwa switched back to the stock drag because it was ultra smooth albeit less powerful.  The spool bearings are the most important ones to upgrade as they will help your casting distance.  Ceramic bearings cast further because they require less effort to get spinning.  They also don't require as much oil but are kinda noisy (doesn't bother me in the least).  Since having switch bearing I find using the cast control to be more curcial and I have to clamp it down more and use my thumb to prevent over runs.  This results in further cast but I am playing a fine line between a long cast and birds nest (I also keep my reel right full to aid in casting) which keeps me attentive.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:06:54 PM by Eagleye »

lude98r

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 10:38:38 PM »

Dont get me wrong the quantum was my spare and when I got it back it worked great, I actually forgot about it being in for repair, I just thought I misplaced it.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 10:54:17 PM »

you could also try www.Expressreelservice.com if you dont wanna wait forever for your reel. Kevin is a great guy and services all my reels and the people i know also. He has gone above and beyond for us a couple of times already with service  ;D dont get me wrong Mike's is great but i go here because the turn around is normally alot faster and the quality is top notch.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 11:08:58 PM »

Thanks for the link I have heard of them but didn't know they provided super tuning...  Will definately give that a try.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 11:24:21 PM »

It's been six (6) weeks and counting since I brought my reel to Mike's for repair. Hope to have it back before the pink season is over.