Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: clouser  (Read 2915 times)

river walker

clouser
« on: June 09, 2008, 07:51:30 AM »

could anyone please post some pics of there favprite clouser type patterns for the chuck.. I am spending my summer fishing the rivers inlet and would like to cast for coho and even try for a spring !
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: clouser
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:45:25 PM »

You have to sing "Hold me clouser, Tony Danza" while you cast (to the tune of elton john's Tiny Dancer, of course).  That is the secret.

river walker

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 11:36:40 AM »

yeah good one .. ummmmm anyway .. Anyone going to help me out or what??
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »

Last year I got a spring on a pink one, I had tied it to try for pinks, but it didn't get any pinks :)   It was a small spring though.  That was a pink back, white belly.

I like black/purple, black/blue also.  Most of the time you see them tied in white/color but a few yrs back I was fishing a beach on the sunshine coast last year for coho and decided to try out a small (size 8 ) all dark clouser, got a small coho and a few jack springs.  Have yet to get a large fish on one, but then i haven't devoted enough time to it.

Try tying it with a stinger hook too, just make sure the stinger rides the same way as it normally would if you had it on the shank.  I've done very well with those on bulls, combining a barbless and a long shank, to me , is inviting a hook shaking.  my relatively new to this fishery 2c.

The great thing about them is that they take no time to tie and the materials are all cheap, so you can tie a good number of them in a variety of colors, and if one isnt producing where you know fish are, try a different size/color.  I think size is more important than color myself....and depth, I was using a clear int. sink line, but i bet a floating line with about an 8foot leader would be great too.

And dont forget to sing the song.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 04:29:48 PM »

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/rowley/philsbox/clouser/minnow.phtml

Near the bottom of the page they have Peter Morrison's version.
Actions speak louder than words.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 07:46:32 PM »

I tie mine about 2x as sparse as those and they work well.  I think that mirage flashabou is an excellent substitute for crystal flash too, I use two fine strands of it down each side of the fly, it looks amazing in the water, flows very well and the fish seem to like it as much as i do :)