Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fenwick cartridge dcc56  (Read 3932 times)

hrenya

fenwick cartridge dcc56
« on: September 21, 2015, 05:51:21 PM »

Hi, im pretty new with flyfishing and was wondering whats the trick to make this real from RH to LH , I was checking some search engines and read some forum but I don't really get it . So there is a plastic cirlcle in a middle of the reel from the side that has drag , and I think the modification has to be done in that area under it , any tips how can I open it without damaging it or any other way to do the trick ?

milo

• Old Timer
Re: fenwick cartridge dcc56
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 08:29:28 PM »

Hi Hrenya,

It's so easy you wouldn't believe it.
Pull out the spool and look inside the reel. There are no parts to fall out or anything like that, so don't worry. There is the shaft sticking from the middle, right?
There is also a gear that goes around the shaft. Slide the gear off the shaft and turn it over. Now place the gear back on the shaft and replace the spool.
Voila! Left-handed reel. :)

Make sure to remove the backing and fly line before doing this and spool it correctly or else you'll be reeling in counter-clockwise like the guy in the old Lotto 6/49 Cloud commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBav92eLOGs  LOL!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:31:37 PM by milo »

hrenya

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 04:18:53 PM »

thanks a lot , its really easier than it sounds :))))

do you know by any chance if cartridges must be specific to model of real or just can by something different ? like I mean are they all the same ? 

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 12:50:58 PM »

thanks a lot , its really easier than it sounds :))))
do you know by any chance if cartridges must be specific to model of real or just can by something different ? like I mean are they all the same ?

That BFR patent is quite old now but still very popular, so it's been sold under a number of brand names such as Dragonfly, Fenwick, etc...so yes, many cartridges are interchangeable from brand to brand.  But always check before you buy. Make sure it's the same size and model.

hrenya

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »

thanks for help :) will take my reel to berry`s on Friday and check it out ...
thank again