Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bait Fishing ??  (Read 4970 times)

Hello

• I'm a llama!
Re: Bait Fishing ??
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 07:24:28 PM »

I simply do not believe in any almighty method.  I believe we should all be allowed to follow our own morals, as long as they are within the rules, without having people look down on us.  There are those who look at fishing as a whole as torture cause we pierce animals with sharp metal objects.  Where does the finger pointing start and end ????   I said that biat fishing was not as sporting for me as creating something and catching fish was ( lures included )  I do however fish bait sometimes and do not have anything against those who do.  What i am against is the behaviour of some fishermen who think that if they have made certain decisions that others should do the same.  Thats not how things work.  Make the right choices for yourself and allow others to do the same. 

Oh and in case some of you havent figured it out yet this is a flossing thread.   Just from a different angle!!   ;D ;D

lude98r

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 09:33:49 PM »

Do we all not go fishing to catch fish? As long as our methods are within the rules we should enjoy our day on the river.

lovethewater

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 09:47:28 AM »

i think part of the issue is when bait / gear guys are fishing in the same pool / drift as fly guys.  fly guys think gear guys are spooking all the fish and ruining the fly guys chances, am i right?

everyone should read the book "Th River Why?"  its a great read, and some funny debates about bait vs fly fishing from a married couple...

J.G.

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 12:28:45 PM »

There deffinately is a time and a place for all techniques. Bait, gear , fly, all have advantages and disadvantages. As sportfishermen grow they develop their skills and quite often prefer to employ more challenging techniques. Personally I was tiring of catching fish with bait and gear. It was becoming to easy. I was tired of spending days curing roe, pumping shrimp at midnight in February, then going out and catching fish in the exact same spot, with the exact same method. I started experimenting with different techniques. Strictly jigs ( back when people thought jigs were for sun fish ), then spoons exclusively, spinners etc. It was a great way to devlop as a fisherman and better understand water hydraulics and fish behavior. The move to strictly fly fish was a natural progression. It was the only thing left to do. The art of floating a piece of roe or a jig helped with my nymphing techniques. Swinging a spoon is so very similar to swinging flies. ( I've told a few elitist fly fishermen this and they cringe ) Evolving as an angler and moving onto different fisheries and techniques also opens the door for others to enjoy the sport. Standing on the same rock day in and day out does no good for your skills or the fishery. It just congests the river even more. Move on and try different things. The cost of fishing the Vedder 10 times ( food, gas, gear, etc...) adds up. Stay home for a while, pocket your cash and go on a trip and try something new. Let someone else have that rock to hone their skills until they begin to evolve as well.
But the most important thing to remember through the natural progression of becoming a well rounded angler is not forgetting how you got there. Being an elitist tells me one thing. You are not a well rounded angler. There is nothing wrong with bait, gear, or flies. There is something wrong with only fishing one way and never devoping your skills and evolving into a better, more complete angler.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:36:11 PM by J.G. »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 03:56:57 PM »

Rick is a troll!!! Rick is a troll..Rick is a troll...he uses bait on his flies!!! I've seen him, he calls them leeches but it's roe..I know it!!!!

I hate Roe...mainly because it messes up my reel and makes my hands dry out and the skin peel off... :P I love making it though...the recipes that you come up with are like an alchemists dream...it's pretty cool to see the fish turn on to one certain batch and watch Merc get pissed off causes his doesn't...

I'm not an elitist..i'm just easily bored...practice, practice, practice...oops..fish on!!!

Rick likes to troll his new puppy for dates!!!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:09:09 PM by Rodney »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 08:05:24 PM »

"Rick likes to troll his new puppy for dates!!!! "

Those are the lowest kind of trolls. :(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?