Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are you aware of the fact that relatively very few people fish???  (Read 4432 times)

Fatso

I grew up fishing.  I caught my first fish on a fly when I was 7 years old.  I thought everybody fished.
I thought everybody was like me.  But the older I get, the more I realize the truth and that is actually very few people have ever fished.  And even fewer have eaten a fish that they have caught.

Ryan B's signature:
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Actually, when you think about it, there's a lot of knowledge that one must have mastery of to have consistent success.  Fishing is hard if you don't know what you are doing...   :)

So my job for the rest of my life is to share what I know and introduce kids to the enjoyment recreational fishing.  :)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Are you aware of the fact that relatively very few people fish???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:31:18 PM »

Yep, those poor poor fools. Mind you, some people I talk to look at me like I'm the looney toon when I tell them about some fishing trips. Their loss.
I've always said about fishing, you either get it or you don't. For those who read this obviously get it, no need to explain. People ask me to explain to them how to fish, and I tell them to come fishing and I'll show them instead or we'll be standing here talking for a month and still not wet a line. They don't get it.

Zackattack

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 07:13:01 PM »

It's funny, when I start to explain to people that I fish their first response is always something about how "wow you must save a lot of money since salmon are so expensive" or something along those lines.

I never know whether to start explaining how a lot of trips I get skunked, or to start explaining to them all the money I spend on gas, tackle, etc etc.
Then they usually just give me a look that seems to suggest they just don't understand/ don't care. I then proceed to change the subject..  ;D

LOL

Also, there are the ones who  "hey take me out sometime" and never show any initiative again or always say "hey wheres my fish?" when they see you haha.

Animal Chin

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:18:11 PM »

Fishing is for weeeirdoos ;)

I think it's like golf, it appeals to the obsessive and methodical types who like being outdoors.

chief

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »

I think the younger you are when you are introduced to fishing or any other sport the beter. if you like it you will stick with it and develop the passion for the sport. I recall my kids trying various activities including fishing which they enjoyed, but it never became a passion. For an old timer like me fishing is a passion, developed over many years, since I was a kid and will be enjoyed as long as I am able to get out there and cast a line. Lotsa good memories and stories to tell ! I enjoyed immensly my time on the lakes, river and ocean around BC and beyond regardless of my success rate. Many times frustrating but always enjoyable  with maybe a few exceptions !!!

RyanB

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 10:11:52 PM »

Actually, when you think about it, there's a lot of knowledge that one must have mastery of to have consistent success.  Fishing is hard if you don't know what you are doing...   :)

The whole experience of fishing is relaxing for me and that relaxation is consistent success.  I am not results oriented.

Explore, experiment, maybe catch a fish...That's what I personally enjoy.  Other people enjoy combat fishing but they are schmucks.

"Let a schmuck be a schmuck." - Frank Zappa

‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

243Pete

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 10:41:45 PM »

The whole experience of fishing is relaxing for me and that relaxation is consistent success.  I am not results oriented.

Explore, experiment, maybe catch a fish...That's what I personally enjoy.  Other people enjoy combat fishing but they are schmucks.

"Let a schmuck be a schmuck." - Frank Zappa

Combat fishing... being elbow to elbow with a bunch of other guys trying to catch fish is not my idea of having fun.

Getting to explore areas around any river can be quite amazing, the views and even waters a lot of us get to see are the stuff posted on cards and used in nature documentaries.

Fatso

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 11:04:03 PM »

Combat fishing... being elbow to elbow with a bunch of other guys trying to catch fish is not my idea of having fun.

...Not mine either...but to each their own.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 11:18:16 PM »

Imagine if 50% of the bc population did sport fishing.
It would have neg results.
Road rage but in this case it would be river ocean lake stream rage.

Mind you sport fishing is partly luck but also a science.
My memory goes back to the early 2000s & a fishing crowd side by side chucking lures at the mouth of Steveston Harbour.
Pinks sometimes would come closer to shore & it was fish on.
One guy was hooking up much more than the other sports fishermen/ladies.
A slender asian guy.
I was about 15 yards south of him & a guy next to me says to me in conversation.
That guy has a website called FWR.
Fishing has lots of skill & know how.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:21:15 PM »

I think it's like golf, it appeals to the obsessive and methodical types who like being outdoors.

Except the golf is for people who can't fish. :)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 11:14:59 PM »

So my job for the rest of my life is to share what I know and introduce kids to the enjoyment recreational fishing.  :)

And you will have a blast doing it. It would take me three or more hands to count the number of kids (and even some adults) that I have taken fishing and who have caught their first fish with me hovering over them. I thoroughly enjoy doing it. The trick is to have a number of fishing spots up your sleeve that reliably produce large numbers of fish. Fishing for resident trout in July in the C/V, or for stunted bass in Walmsley Lake, are surefire producers. A bobber and a worm is as techical as it gets.

The Fishing Buddies program has been mentioned on this site before. I would encourage you to look into it if you aren't familiar.
http://www.gofishbc.com/how-to-fish/fishing-programs/fishing-buddies.aspx

Cheers