Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River September 12  (Read 2066 times)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
Stave River September 12
« on: September 13, 2004, 07:44:05 AM »

Vedder was blown out. I just had to get my line wet, so i dragged Big T to the Stave River ;D First glance, and it didn't look very good. High water, but still somewhat fishable. Well, a couple casts and Big T gets a small cutty, which was quickly released. Funny thing, after he released that cutty, the bites stopped. ??? I was casting away in some slack water, and it paid off. After about 45 minutes, my float totally sinks. I set the hook, and at first i'm thinking a big squaw. After jumping 3 times, finally landed it. It was a Chrome Jack Spring. I guess that's what you call "Short Floating" ;) :) Big T and I have never seen a live Spring before at Stave. I'm amazed that the #9 hook stayed hooked into the mouth. After, that, it was fairly slow. I landed a rainbow and cutty, which were both released, and Big T landed a good sized Squaw. A slow day, but rewarding.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Re:Stave River September 12
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 02:40:06 PM »

congrats to you leaping steely,i thought you are going to loose that jack spring while he jumped out 3 times off the water(like a coho) with that tiny hook at the corner of the mouth,where did you get that lucky tiny trout rod ;D..i will be seeing you at the vedder coming week for coho....tight line

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 06:18:39 PM »

cool report , the canoe fam also hit the stave sunday afternoon
we on the other hand did not have any luck
all i took was my trout spining outfit and did not find any willing takers ::)
my buddy at work was talking about all the jack springs he caught there last year and said it should soon be coming on.
time to blow the dust of the floats  ;)
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 07:18:25 PM »

my buddy at work was talking about all the jack springs he caught there last year and said it should soon be coming on.
time to blow the dust of the floats  ;)
cnm
Is there good numbers of Springs or Jack springs in the Stave? Big T and I have never seen a live one until Sunday, but then again, we never looked. :-\