Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Sturgeon Report September 7  (Read 2504 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Fraser Sturgeon Report September 7
« on: September 07, 2004, 09:46:43 PM »

Fished the Fraser out of Mission today from about 11:00 hrs to 19:00 hrs .
Very slow overall  :'( lots of Sturgeon in the river jumping  but bites were few and far between.
Used Roe, Oolichans and Dew Worms in various combos-best action came on plain Oolies.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re:Fraser Sturgeon Report September 7
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 09:58:50 PM »

More free jumping than on the sounder but we did mark some brutes-Yes.
Also explored some new holes and found what we were looking for.
Very quiet on the river today-no commercial traffic at all and maybe 3 pleasure boats in total.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 10:29:43 PM »

No-no connections and not enough time put in on the river anyway.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 08:19:07 AM »

Thanks Sam.  I'm hoping to get out late Sept to early Oct. for some.  Were you fishing below or above the Sumas?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 01:46:10 PM by grumman »

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 08:29:19 AM »

Did you go up or down river from Mission? I am usually
out sturgeon fishing every weekend and have a lot of success down river....

The Gilly

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 03:37:49 PM »

I had made a complaint on this site about STS and my neighbour.  I just want to be fair and say that Vic at STS has been very concerned and has put out every effort to resolve the problem.  I'm glad that professional charters like STS keep their customers trip enjoyment as a priority.  I'm hoping to get out and learn to sturgeon fish I'm going to put a trip with STS on my christmas list.

Thanks to Vic for his concern ;)

Where can I get fresh roe with out catching a salmon?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 04:34:39 PM »

Nice to know grumman, thanks for being patient. :) Guiding is not an easy job, bad fishing days do happen occasionally. Good to know Vic is working hard to resolve the issue, so professional as always. :) Anyways, the package for your kids should arrive tomorrow or Friday. ;D

Regarding roe, if you time it right, the commercial fishing boats sell them at Steveston dock. Check it out on weekend mornings (be there early, they run out fast!). I can't remember how much... You can always bargain. ;) The last time I bought some was two years ago, that was at 5 dollars a pound but normally around 7 to 8 dollars per pound. :)

roeman

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 07:39:03 PM »

Hey, Moosefinder........... when sturgeon fishing below the mission bridge do you tend to catch smaller fish in the fall.  Everybody seems to have an opinion on this.  I fish from the mission bridge up in the fall, basically every weekend, till I need more bait than I have to go for a walk and pickup roe on the vedder............First 3 weeks of august were outstanding for sturgeon. lots of big fish, how were your trips
Are you fishin or catchin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 12:38:18 AM »

As Rodney has said you can buy roe from the Steveston docks. Another possibility is the fish canneries. When I worked there in the summer fishermen would come in and help themselves to the discarded roe. Don't know whether they still allow the practice. Best to call first.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 07:34:01 AM »

Thanks roe the roe tips guy's. :D

leaseman

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 08:00:45 AM »

Roeman-
I have been on a several guided trips above Mission and
only one trip below the bridge. The trip below the bridge was in late April this year and in the 7 hours we were out
we boated 14 fish with the biggest just over 6 ft. We lost a couple bigger ones and had tons of little ones that
we didnt count that were released at the side of the boat. Since then a buddy of mine and I bought an older tri hull fiberglass 17 ft and are out every weekend since May 1 and have the most success below the bridge. As far as fish size goes we have been lucky and always found a couple of 4 footers for my 10 year old son to play
(he wont let us leave the house without him) then we get into some bigger fish at other holes. Biggest so far is
over 8 ft with a couple of lost ones that were definately bigger! As far as bait goes early on oligons (fresh) were great but since then the bite was off on the frozen and we have great success with ditch eels threaded on and spider wired at the head to keep them in place so the little doingers dont steal the eels! I still cant believe the awesome fight these fish put up and I appreciate all the help and knowledge that I have got from the guides etc.
on getting family and friends out on the Fraser ;D

roeman

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 06:48:11 PM »

up at six to head up to the vedder to hike around looking for some new spots, river was  not even fishable, so headed home to pick up the boat and try the fraser for sturgeon, 4 hours, had one little sniff and that is all. How about you moosefinder, were you out today, have success??
Are you fishin or catchin

leaseman

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 08:09:07 AM »

I haven't been out for 2 weeks due to getting ready fpr moose and deer season opening!! Will be out this Sunday (1 ;D9th) aty my favorite holes south of Mission!
There is a couple of brutes just waiting for me! ;D