Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: it's official, i'm lost!!!  (Read 7531 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
it's official, i'm lost!!!
« on: January 21, 2006, 04:42:33 PM »

I was so torn last night on what to take up to the vedder today, i packed both in my living room and waited till early this am to decide...i couldn't so i packed both, left, came back and pulled out the fly gear and went with the gut caster....i figured i had to get it out of my system and work some water with spoons and pink worms and see if that changed my luck....

I was told about a spot that was good for fly fishing and went there early, stayed and fished it top to bottom but nothing...saw a guy with a spey rod and gabbed to him for awhile...whole time I'm there I'm just kicking myself for not taking my fly gear...it's perfect water for fly, (though no one caught anything the time i was there)....but that wasn't it..i think I've officially become lost to the dark side of fly fishing...i spent the day thinking what kind of flys would work good on the different spots i hit...and while I've got one of wickedest bait casting set ups and can chuck it  into just about any spot on the water...i was terribly bored with it...what's up with that??? i fished spots today that there was no way i could have with a fly rod but all i kept doing was looking for areas that would give me better access for casting....

I'll tell you this...the guy using the spey rod could really get it out there and it was his smaller rod he said...i watched and he wasn't going back far at all and it would work great with trees behind you...that got me thinking about taking a peek at what that's all about..DOF were out today which was nice to see..don't mind getting pulled over and checked as it looked like they were nailing a few guys with expired licenses etc. good to see....

So i guess it's official and I'm lost...if you see me on the river watch out, i could poke your eye out with this thing..and maybe I'll actually catch something too....but i realized as i drove home that I'm a lot happier being fishless with a fly rod then with a gut caster...crazy sport..now i can't wait to get out to my shop and start tying for tomorrow... ::)

mojoman

• Old Timer
Re: it's official, i'm lost!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 09:36:04 AM »

and so the addiction goes.....welcome to the fraternity of the insane.....you are gonna love it!!!!!

mojo long time addict
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 07:59:10 PM »

I was out on the Cheakamus yesterday and caught nothing. Had a great time though.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 08:14:42 PM »

and so the addiction goes.....welcome to the fraternity of the insane.....you are gonna love it!!!!!

mojo long time addict

you know this may sound insane..but today i was supposed to be going back to the vedder steelie fishing with my bud. i was taking fly gear this time...so this morning as I'm heading up and pick him up it dawns on him he doesn't have his stamp yet and doesn't have the cash to get one, it didn't take much persuading to get him to switch over and head for the Harrison instead...we only fished a couple hours before the wind kicked in something fierce and the Sky's opened up..but I'll tell you what...i had more fun today in those two hours then the six yesterday...i saw some salmon fry's starting to show up in the shallows and some bigger ones on the beach..didn't catch anything but after about 45 min.s my struggles with casting ended...for some reason a light bulb or all the practice i don't know what..but i some how started to keep my wrist straight, my pick up was good and i shortened up my motion considerably and like that i was just firing the line out there deep..(well deep for me anyways, in the 70 foot range)..but it wasn't the distance alone, the loops were tight and the line was laying down on the water the way it's supposed too...it was nice to be on a river on in such a good spot, it's amazing out there with the eagles flying all over and snow on the mountains..and i wasn't a total beak for a change....some younger guy came out and was flinging line really well right after we got there...i had to move around the corner so i wouldn't get too caught up watching him...damn, he was good, most have rubbed off on me as i FINALLY started moving the line the right way and was able to work the area pretty good...

Didn't catch anything like i said but we hiked down the shore a bit and fished some nice spots..found some really decent drift wood to make into plagues with, which we proudly presented as our only catches of the day to a driver who asked back up on the road...funny, he started laughing like hell at that and said..."man, isn't that what it's all about anyway?"...so true, so true...

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 03:01:38 PM »

ok, trying something new
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 03:03:23 PM by golfman65 »

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 03:39:26 PM »

sure doesnt look like the harrison ???. nice spot wherever it is ::) :D

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 12:08:47 AM »

sure doesnt look like the harrison ???. nice spot wherever it is ::) :D

Sorry, no that's allison last weds. Rodney finally explained in the simpliest terms possible how to get my pictures to work..and i finally got it...was screwing around to see if i could..

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 12:14:46 AM »

Wow, someone understands my language!! ;D ;D Nice photo by the way. :)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 10:17:57 AM »

Wow, someone understands my language!! ;D ;D Nice photo by the way. :)

thank you...( ill admit it took a few times though :-[)....days when the river looks like this make not catching anything unimportant..just being on the river is what it's about...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:21:36 AM by golfman65 »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 10:11:30 AM »

when you start ice fishing with your fly rod THATS when youre addicted :D...becomes ALOT more like golf too !!