Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what line for a salmon/steelhead rod???  (Read 13237 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
what line for a salmon/steelhead rod???
« on: December 08, 2005, 09:26:47 PM »

I'm not competent enough to try it yet but i got a 9wt. that i'm paying off...what line would you guys recommend for it? i had pretty much assumed any sinking tip but the more i'm reading the more i'm thinking i might need more then one...it's going to be a salmon/steelhead rod.

Stone

Re: what line for a salmon/steelhead rod???
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 10:10:09 PM »

RIO Versitip.  The only line you'll need to fish rivers, and you don't have to pay for multiple spools.  No spools to fill up your vest either, and no need to restring rods on the banks.  I have been using them for my 5wt, 6wt, 8wt, and spey rods, and I've been more than happy with RIO's multi-tip lines for years.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:31:48 PM »

Like Stone said, Rio Multi Tip

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 03:58:16 PM »

Excellent..i've been looking hard at them after reading other reports about them...i will go with that, makes sound sense..thanks,

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 05:43:52 PM »

Well, there are many option out there.. its all depends on where you gonna fish etc...  Come down to Anglers West on thursday (dec 15th) night for the open house/ x'mas party, i can show you a few option.

Marco

funpig

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 06:01:31 PM »

I've been using a six weight rod with a six weight floating line to fish Vedder/Norrish and Squamish for salmon.  I loop on various lenghts of T-14 as a sinking tip (3, 6  or 10 feet depending of the speed of the river).  It overloads the rod (I have calculated that I am chucking an 8+ wt equivalent line with the T-14 looped on).  I'll be getting a new 8 wt rod for xmas.  I intend to keep using the same 6wt floating line plus sinking tips at first.  I will eventually buy an 8 wt floating line on which I will use the same sink tips.  Just a suggestion of a cheap way to get started;  this is a home-made change tip system.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 07:05:28 PM by funpig »

Stone

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 10:19:26 PM »

It's true that you can make your own multi-tip system if you so desired.  I for one do not particularly like to cast T-14 or LC-13.  I don't enjoy the "chuck and duck" type of flycasting.

But considering that an 8wt RIO Versitip costs about $169 retail, it might be a better deal than a homemade one utilizing RIO tips.  I break down the costs as follows:

1) Basic good quality full floating line to provide the belly and running line for the system: $49-69.
2) Four 15' RIO tips (since the full RIO system provides 5 tips) at $19 each:  $76.
3) Add your time and labour for cutting the line and forming the loops...add around $20 if you are going to buy and use braided loops.

In the end, you would spend between $145-165, plus your time and the risk of cutting the floating line in the wrong place...and you could have bought a well made factory tip system for only a few dollars more.  Granted...if you do use the T-14 or LC-13 for tips instead of RIO tips, you will save a lot of money.  But like I've said, it just depends on what you expect out of it, and whether or not you would like to enjoy casting that line or not.

If you do buy an 8wt RIO system, you can save money by re-using those same tips for an 8wt spey setup later.  I've recently bought another spey outfit to compliment my 9140.  I've picked up a 7wt spey system, and I bought an Airflo Delta Spey floating line for it.  Rick Baerg at Fred's Custom Tackle cut back the front of my line and formed a pretty cool loop using the core of the line.  I'm going to be using the sinking tips from my RIO Versitip 8wt with that line tomorrow.  Having those heads saved me a bunch of money on my spey setup...and both lines will cast very well.  Good luck!

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 11:35:10 PM »

the cheapest way to make a sink tip fly line is using a shooting head system with "slick shooter." you simply make a loop on the running line, and get section of T-14, LC-13 or T-8 for your head system... this set up might cost you the most of $40. and get the job done.  But the down side to this is the thin running, its very easy to get tangle, so you need a stripping basket or some sort to manage your line.

stickler

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 09:35:29 PM »

Tug & Turf at its best and it works.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 07:24:40 PM »

i've been looking for the versi tips on ebay to see what i'm ordering...i'm not seeing any, i've gone to the rio website but i'm not sure if it's the right one either...any where you guys know where i can see it and costs????

Stone

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 07:45:58 PM »

From RIO's website:

Called the Coldwater Versitip:

VersiTip® Fly Line
An interchangeable tip line for coldwater float tube fishing, steelhead, Atlantic and Pacific salmon as well as saltwater angling in a one-line-does-all configuration. Created from the WindCutter® fly line design, the VersiTip® has a stiff non-hinging loop design and four interchangeable sinking tips. Unlike other sink tips, this line is designed with a thick belly to turn over heavy sinking density tips. The VersiTip has a front floating tip one to two sizes smaller than the nominal weight of the line, which facilitates a light presentation of the fly. Attach either the floating tip or one of the sinking tips directly to the belly. The best way to cast this line is with the belly just a foot or two outside the rod tip. Packaged with the floating tip, plus a 15 ft water clear AquaLux Intermediate on single strand monofilament core (1.5 ips 3.8 cm/s), Type 3 DC (3 - 4 ips 8.9 cm/s), Type 6 DC (6 - 7 ips 17 cm/s) and the new Type 8 DC (8 - 9 ips 20.3 cm/s) sinking tips (sizes #8 - #10 only). The VersiTip can be customized using RIO's shooting heads and cutting any size to length for the prevailing fishing conditions. It is the fly line favored by Alaskan guides for all species and by steelhead fly fishers. Coldwater coating on a nylon multifilament braided core.
WF4 Tips - WF10 Tips
Color: Yellow

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/flylines_prodpage.asp?product=20166&useMet=0#chart

Retails for around $165 CAD in the Lower Mainland.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 07:57:56 PM »

From RIO's website:

VersiTip® Fly Line
An interchangeable tip line for coldwater float tube fishing, steelhead, Atlantic and Pacific salmon as well as saltwater angling in a one-line-does-all configuration. Created from the WindCutter® fly line design, the VersiTip® has a stiff non-hinging loop design and four interchangeable sinking tips. Unlike other sink tips, this line is designed with a thick belly to turn over heavy sinking density tips. The VersiTip has a front floating tip one to two sizes smaller than the nominal weight of the line, which facilitates a light presentation of the fly. Attach either the floating tip or one of the sinking tips directly to the belly. The best way to cast this line is with the belly just a foot or two outside the rod tip. Packaged with the floating tip, plus a 15 ft water clear AquaLux Intermediate on single strand monofilament core (1.5 ips 3.8 cm/s), Type 3 DC (3 - 4 ips 8.9 cm/s), Type 6 DC (6 - 7 ips 17 cm/s) and the new Type 8 DC (8 - 9 ips 20.3 cm/s) sinking tips (sizes #8 - #10 only). The VersiTip can be customized using RIO's shooting heads and cutting any size to length for the prevailing fishing conditions. It is the fly line favored by Alaskan guides for all species and by steelhead fly fishers. Coldwater coating on a nylon multifilament braided core.
WF4 Tips - WF10 Tips

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/flylines_prodpage.asp?product=20166&useMet=0#chart

did you see the third one down??? (after the dredger)..does that sound like a good line for us out here? bet it costs mucho duckets...

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 08:00:51 PM »

From RIO's website:

VersiTip® Fly Line
WF4 Tips - WF10 Tips

;D :-[ screwed up the last one.... :o anyways, the last one under the dredger looked promising as well but i can't find these suckers on any websites...ill keep looking, thanks Stone...

Stone

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 08:18:04 PM »

Anyone who knows me knows that I wouldn't put in a gratuitous plug for M&Y...but they do list the full line of RIO products on their website...so it's for reference only;D

http://www.myflyshop.com/online.html

Click "Online Store" and then "Fly Lines" on the left menu.  Don't be shy about seeing if you can get some sort of deal on these expensive lines.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 08:20:17 PM by Stone »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 02:47:42 AM »

Hi Stone, do you have info for the new Airflo multitip?