Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: THe Canadinization of my Fly set up!!  (Read 5279 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
THe Canadinization of my Fly set up!!
« on: September 05, 2006, 07:50:34 PM »

Ok, not sure if that is really a word or not...I got my first Islander fly reel and a couple spools today..
Got a winston b2x in a 6wt, as I have a hardy angel ultralight on my 4 wt. I assumed the 6/7 angel would be similar, I was wrong, the 6/7 angel is a monster reel. On my 6wt. it felt really heavy  and I also didn't like the HUGE arbor on it...So, after debating it and talking to the guys and gurl at M & J's..they let me trade it in and switch out to the Islander ir-4...very simple reel, solid as hell...size and shape really fit the rod IMHO and man the rod feels Soooo much better in my hand now...

I think I see a lx-4 in the future for my 9wt as well now :-*

check out one of my spool options...pimpin out da reel..

and my dry set up
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 09:08:04 PM by golfman65 »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: THe Canadinization of my Fly set up!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:02:30 PM »

Excellent choice Golfman. I have a LX 3.8 and I absolutely love it

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 06:25:21 AM »

Golfman,
Nice setup, now all you need is a nice trout or small coho to break it in  ;) 
Here's mine in action  ;D

My Islander IR has seen a ton of water time, infact its probably been over worked. I broke it 2 years ago on a 7lb stillwater rainbow, probably a bit too much for the click and pawl drag system  :P  The folks at Islander have awesome service, I had it back in about 2 weeks.
Which 6wt BIIX did you get, I assume its the 9'6" since it has the fighting butt on it?

Stone

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 09:06:33 AM »

Nice reel!  The Islander IR are great click and pawl reels.  I remember how it sang with a 27" brown on the other end of my line on the Bow River.

I love my Winstons...and my 9' 6wt BIIx is the newest in the collection.  I'm sure you love yours as well...rarely can a manufacturer combine fast action with feel in a rod, and the BIIx does that exceptionally well.  I have a Ross Cimarron 2 on my 6wt BIIx.  Those rods are so light that you don't want to weigh them down with a large reel if you don't need to.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 09:28:08 AM »

Yeah I agree, weight becomes a huge factor on them...I have the 9'6" model with the fighting butt cmk...I had a Ross evolution on it..that reel is equally light and fit it well, only problem i had with the evolution was the damn thing dinged up by breathing on it almost..but the angel 6/7 was such way over kill it was ridiculous...The Islander looks and feels like the perfect fit...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:20:44 PM by golfman65 »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 09:34:46 AM »

One quick question...My only concern with this reel was the clicker pawl but it seems to have a bit of resistance on it and the palming area is one of the nicest I've seen on any reel. Did you guys find the lack of a significant drag a problem?

Stone, I love the winstons but they took a little to get used too for me...once I learned to slow it down some and let the rod do the work it became night and day with this rod...I took a lesson from Kathy Ruddick and with this rod and gpx line am able to toss 85 + feet of line pretty easily..Of course that's on grass when you don't have to worry about the line at your feet..On a river I'm still trying to get the hang of handling all that line in my hand :'(

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 07:53:23 AM »

Can't you switch the clicker off?  I don't like those things much either, except when they are screaming  ;)

Most of my reels allow you to turn the little metal triangle thingee, so they don't make contact, and thus don't click...  Unless there is no drag system, in which case,  I would leave the clicker on, or get a different reel.

drift

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 11:56:22 AM »

That's a beauty!

Stone

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 03:54:30 PM »

It's a click and pawl reel...so if you flip the pawl off the gear, you will have a free-spooling reel.

I personally love click and pawl reels...my 2wt and 4wt setups have Hardy reels on them with click and pawl drags, and I love the way they sound when a large trout takes off.  But taste is an individual thing, and if I didn't already have decent 5 and 6wt reels with several spools all of my trout setups would have old Hardy clicker reels on them.  :)