Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alice Lake(Squamish) May 28th  (Read 1661 times)

TtotheE

Alice Lake(Squamish) May 28th
« on: May 28, 2005, 09:05:19 PM »

Left the house just after 0-dark-thirty,  and after a few stops we arrived at the park gates at 7:10am(gates open at 7am).
Our mission for today,   to test out our new 3 weight rods purchased from Stryker's blowout sale.
The rods cast great,  and were perfect for what Alice had to offer.

First fish caught on a red doc while moving towards our spot.  Here's an action shot of dad with a feisty lil guy.

We anchored,  and caught some more fish.  The fishing came to a stop as fast as it had started. 
This female damselfly decided to rest her wings a bit on my arm.  I couldn't cast out my line,  so I took a pic.

The fish were quite active up until the sun began to heat up the lake,  then we had to search for the active ones.
I tied up an olive damsel-leach thing and proceeded to troll the perimiter of the lake.

This little guy took the fly and gave quite the fight.  Quick pic and off he goes.

I believe these are the "catchables" that you'll usually see coming out of Alice until later in the season when they bulk up (if they aren't all cleaned out by summer.)

The water temperature was 64F when we got there,  and 75F when we left.

As Stryker mentioned,  the 3 weights don't cast super far,  but cast beautifully short and medium range.  Possibly the best $100 I've spent on fishing gear.
Can't wait to try out some dry fly fishing with it.

Edit:  And a big thanks to Rod for hosting these pics  :)

halorail

Re: Alice Lake(Squamish) May 28th
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 09:53:51 PM »

Sounds like a good day
Pack Out Your Trash

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Alice Lake(Squamish) May 28th
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 01:58:36 PM »

Sounds like standard summer fishing: the bite starts when the water warms enough for the hatch to start coming off, then shuts down when it gets to hot for the buggs. If you were around, you would probably find it turnning on again when the evening shadow started in the late afternoon. Try taking a cumpass reading next time; you will find the shadows starting in the south west section of the lake.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"