Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho and bait  (Read 4624 times)

chille51

Re: Coho and bait
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2021, 03:30:20 PM »

This year on the somass was the first year I ever did somewhat OK for coho on bait. Most years we only get one or two on bait over multiple days, but this year we got multiple almost every day. The one day I actually managed almost as many coho as I did chinook. Overall I find those somass coho incredibly picky, and I'd agree with the sentiment that they will mostly bite metal. I find that they bite much better in the river above the falls as well one they've slowed down and started holding. Spoons almost always out fish everything else in the upper regions.

In all honesty though, I prefer almost anything else over bait when coho fishing in every single system I fish. What I use is totally dependant on the river. Some places they love flies. Some places they only want a big, others they only want a spoon. Change it up lots, and figure out what they want!

The Vedder most years does absolutely best with spoons (either crocs, or larger oval spoons - like R&B). I find that most of the time, a brass/ silver works best, but other times they really like brass/ orange or brass/chartreuse. Last year was totally different, I think I only managed maybe 7 or 8 spoon fish the entire season, whereas spinners landed well over 100 fish. Jigs and flies also got into a good number of fish (more so in low Water periods), but spinners were the best performing by far.

What is the quality of the fish in the upper Stamp?  I've really only fished below the falls except for one day last fall we did try upper river.  No hook ups though so can't answer my own question - but I always assumed they would be pretty coloured/beat up once they get all the way past the falls.  Maybe I'm wrong?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2021, 06:53:07 PM »

Cohos are in good shape above the falls. Go to the counting fence above the fish ladder and have a look for yourself. Had a many a fantastic day fishing cohos at money’s pool. Added bonus would be be a summer run steelhead thrown in for good measure. Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 06:55:20 PM by Wiseguy »

chille51

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2021, 08:07:46 PM »

Cohos are in good shape above the falls. Go to the counting fence above the fish ladder and have a look for yourself. Had a many a fantastic day fishing cohos at money’s pool. Added bonus would be be a summer run steelhead thrown in for good measure. Good luck.

Good to know.  When we did fish up there last year I think we found Money's - following the directions online.  Any fish we saw were pretty coloured though.  Good to know it isn't the case for all of them.  Will have to check it out... any particular time of the season you find they have all mostly moved above the falls... obviously later I would assume but wonder how late you can still find fish below the falls?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2021, 09:14:33 PM »

I only ever fished above the falls for cohos. The chinooks would be colored up past the falls but the cohos not so much. I found the cohos move quickly through the lower end and right now is getting to be the end of the run. Mid Sept was peak when I used to fish there. I fished winter steelhead in the lower end below the falls back in the day when there was steelhead. Not much left anymore for winter steelhead. Good luck.

chille51

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2021, 09:25:24 PM »

Thanks - headed to the Stamp tomorrow actually.  Was there earlier this week and got a nice Chinook out of Rages pool.  Was planning on fishing the Greenmax trail up to the closed area below the falls, where I did see a fair few of both Chinook and Coho around a few days ago.  Now you have me reconsidering and going above the falls though.  Decisions decisions.