Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spooling tips for a newb - utterly confused  (Read 7356 times)

NothingToSnagAbout

Spooling tips for a newb - utterly confused
« on: December 13, 2015, 11:20:01 AM »

Planning to replace some mono on a couple of spinning rods and searched around for some tips to minimize later twists but advice seems quite varied and sometimes conflicting. Beyond reeling the line in the same direction as it comes off the spool while holding it with some tension, does anybody do anything else?

I've come across things like running the line through a lubricant cloth while reeling. Keeping the spool in a bucket of water (cold/warm/hot) while reeling, even soaking the line overnight in water before reeling. Also soaking the entire completed reel in hot water for 5-10 minutes afterward.

It seems the older generation suggests using water to soften the line while the younger guys say it makes no difference with the high quality lines we have today, and only degrades them if anything. Or does it come down good/bad swivels? Proper weights?

Gurus, please help. Thanks in advance.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Spooling tips for a newb - utterly confused
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »

If you're worried about it then take it to a shop and get them to line it. Instead of going out to buy the spool just take your reel.
Honestly, in my somewhat limited use with spinning reels, I've never had a problem with line twist, and I've always bought line in bulk and spooled them myself. Maybe I'm wrong here, but after you make that first cast the reel is going to wind it back on the way you would anyways right?
In my single days I would stick a bolt with a washer through the spool and put it in the vise, using pressure from the bolt against the spool for drag, then stand back and wind away.
These days I use my wife with a pen and she wears gloves and applies pressure.

Edit: pretty much use Maxima exclusively, except this year I started using braid on my egg beater.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 03:04:35 PM »

A pen or pencil through the spool and hold that with your toes.

Dylb

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 03:07:10 PM »

I'm pretty new to the art of spooling, but in my experience I never over complicate it. I just buy a good quality line, rig the spool up somehow (bench vise idea is a good one), tie it onto the reel, and run the line through my right hand on the rod to provide tension, and spool away.

Not saying what I do is textbook correct, but I have never had issues with line twist

Twist could be a result of something else in your set-up, poor swivels like you mentioned?

Animal Chin

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:18:20 PM »

My buddy would put the spool in a small backpack (paying attention to how the line came off), pack it with a towel or a hoodie etc, set in on the floor a few feet from him and reel in the line. Provided plenty of tension.

Worked great the one time I did it.

My unsolicited opinion: I use fireline now and will probably never go back to mono for spinning reels, and normally just let the guys at the shop spool all my reels. The few dollars I'd save is not worth any chance of line/reel issues while I'm out on the river. 

hrenya

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »

I spool mine with bud all the time , I run it through the rod and tie on a reel , he puts something in a spool (like pencil or w/e) holds it with 1 hand and kinda putting some tension , and I just reel it in :) works great

P.S. if you don't have anyone to help you use the TOE method described above :D

sandy999

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 07:08:19 PM »

I put a pencil or pen thru the spool of line and I usually hold the spool between my knees. I then take the spool off the reel and  put a shaft thru the spool that you took off the reel and build up the shaft that is put thru the spool that you have taken off the reel with electrical tape to hold the spool in place. I then put the other end of the shaft into my hand held drill. I then use the drill to spin the spool. Using this method you will never have any twists in your line because the line is going on to the reel spool in the same direction as it came off the original  line spool that the line came on. There is not any need to use any water if you use this method. If you have any questions about this method just send me a message including your phone number and I will phone you back to help.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 08:05:21 PM »

Man is this getting complicated.
How many aglers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 08:09:50 PM »

5, 1 to hold the bulb and 4 to turn the chair around!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »

I too switched to braid on all my spinning reels and very doubtful I would ever go back to mono. I just add a section of mono off the braid for clear water. Braid casts further, has no stretch, more sensitivity and thinner for a higher weight rating. Obviously some are better on a spinning rod than others. I really like the Berkeley Nano stuff even though it's expensive
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Tangles

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 11:44:27 PM »

Man is this getting complicated.
How many aglers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

only one(but needs to be a purist), just stands still while the whole world is revolving around him ;)

bluenoser

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 07:41:18 AM »

Tangles that was my first laugh of the day...thanks

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 08:49:34 AM »

I put a pencil or pen thru the spool of line and I usually hold the spool between my knees. I then take the spool off the reel and  put a shaft thru the spool that you took off the reel and build up the shaft that is put thru the spool that you have taken off the reel with electrical tape to hold the spool in place. I then put the other end of the shaft into my hand held drill. I then use the drill to spin the spool. Using this method you will never have any twists in your line because the line is going on to the reel spool in the same direction as it came off the original  line spool that the line came on. There is not any need to use any water if you use this method. If you have any questions about this method just send me a message including your phone number and I will phone you back to help.

Exactly how I do it.  Never had any problems since.  Also switched to Suffix Ghost Braid.  Normally don't like using braid on my drift rods but for spinning, that's another story.  Since I use hardware on my spinning outfit, fish don't have a problem with the visibility of the braid (although the ghost braid is pretty stealthy compared to other braids).  While I'm sure you know this already, don't reel in while the fish is taking out line.  This is a source of many of the line twists you get.

Other considerations:

- Make sure the size of your spinning reel matches the size of your rod.  A bigger spinning reel will throw off bigger loops.  Rod
  guides that are too small will cause resistance in the line that may cause twisting problems and short casts.

- Make sure you use a good swivel when attaching your lure to your line.  Some of the hardware you use will spin on the retrieve
  and without a good swivel, line twist may result.  That's why I prefer to use a small snap swivel at the end of the line.  Also allows
  me to change lures quickly.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:00:31 AM by Stratocaster »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »

Haven't read the whole thread but here is how I do it.

- Cut the flat bottom part of a metal coat hanger out leave 2 or 3 inches on each side
- Straighten out the hanging hook part (it will look like a long, skinny slingshot)
- Bend the remaining sides of the hanger so that they go through the hole in the spool
- Bend the ends over a bit to hold the spool
- Put the straightened hook part in the end of the bottom part of your rod
- Feed your line through any remaining eyes
- Wear a glove on your left hand and feed the line through a couple of fingers to provide tension
- hold the rod with the gloved hand above the cork

I use a plastic screw-on bottle cap with a hole drilled in it and a long bolt and nut to unspool line.
(use epoxy too if necessary)
Attach a plastic bottle to the bottle cap and tape the end of the line to the bottle.
Chuck up the bolt in a low speed drill and peel the line off.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »

Let's see some pictures !
It's not that hard and if you're only spooling one or two reels go to a shop and for the few bucks you might get a tip or two....
I used to buy bulk and spool several times a season but for convenience and the fact that most who reline their reels have that spool of line getting staler every passing year and then complain that MAXIMA or other line sucks cuz it's been in their closet for 5 years (looking for head shake emoticon)
Line and hooks are the cheapest part  of your arsenal.
Do it right or have it done right.
Saving 2 bucks ?
All you get is another jig to lose.
Good luck, but don't fret and I'm not being an my friend (well, yes I am) but over thinking everything erodes confidence.
Get it spoiled at a tackle shop, ask questions and do it yourself the next time.
Depending how much you fish you might respool several times or more per season  8)