Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommend your favourite books  (Read 5119 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Recommend your favourite books
« on: October 30, 2015, 08:49:50 PM »

I've read a bunch of fly fishing books. The complete angler, the gilly, and more. But I'm interested in your favourites, doesn't have to be fly fishing. I'm looking to learn more, and become a better all around angler.

doja

Re: Recommend your favourite books
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 09:28:27 PM »

Playboy ,  but it's not the same anymore...

Hey,  you said doesn't have to be flyfishig,  lol

One must be relaxed in a Zen like fish catching state to be successful ...:) 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:32:21 PM by doja »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 09:48:52 PM »

Fishing ...  "The River Why" by David James Duncan; anything by RL Haig-Brown or John Geirach

Or for just a real good read, try "The Source" by James Michener

dobrolub

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 10:09:59 PM »

I found Irresistible Waters by Art Lngren interesting. "Classic Steelhead Flies" is a nice book, I am reading it now and find it interesting.

For just a good read try Illusions by Richard Bach.

John Revolver

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 10:30:27 PM »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 05:52:43 AM »

Old issues of STS~

losos

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 09:18:08 AM »

disclaimer: like a River Run's Through It this book isn't really about fishing, it's about childhood, sex, children and mostly the sullying of American country life in post the WW2 USA. Second disclaimer Brautigan was a counter culture writer of the 60s and 70s. However it does feature angling though it's not an instructional book. It is also funny.

I also loved A River Runs Through It. Haig Brown's Seasons series & The Western Angler are classics. Steve Raymond and Ernie Schwiebert wrote a series of books in the same style. Raymond is (was?) from the Seattle area so his books relate to BC and in fact came here often to fish and you may recognize some of the spots he fishes as quite nearby. He was also well known for technical books - Matching the Hatch but his Remembrances of Rivers Past and particularly Death of a River Keeper were favourites of mine.

Another good PNWC book is Ralph Wahl's One Man's Steelhead Shangrila about a secret but now gone slough on the  US  portion of the Skagit River. Great stuff about fishing in the 30s 40s and 50s.

My Father My Friend by Arthur Mayse a memoir of exploring and fishing Vancouver Island centered around the Oyster River area.

Trout Madness by Robert Traver - a memoir of fishing Michigan's famous upper peninsula area in the first half of the last century .Also a funny book.

Designing Trout Flies by Gary Borger which is a book that influenced my fly choices and tying.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 11:22:24 AM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=34365.msg327476#msg327476

My favourite fishing books aren't about fishing, and are more about life and the world and people around us, with really good fishing yarns thrown in as a sub text...and they haven't changed over the past couple of years.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 11:57:25 AM »

Steelhead Fly Fishing by Trey Coombs.  A coffee table book but a classic.Some beautiful prints as well as insight into the history of this fishery in the Pacific Northwest.
Riverman

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 03:06:52 PM »

Stillwater Strategies by Brian Chan
A kind of flyfishing for beginners with hatch timing and how to fish certain hatches etc.
I would highly recommend this book to any novice flyfisher.
It never leaves my side when in the boat.

banx

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 08:10:40 AM »

I like the way geirach writes.... During a recent flight I read "all fishermen are liars"  I enjoyed it.

jordanc

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »

I've read a bunch of the Hancock house books. Available at the yellow barn in Chilliwack, I live in Calgary now so I just ordered some online if you look at the website they have a list of all the available ones.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 09:59:30 AM »

Some great recommendations so far - like Dave suggested, anything written by Haig Brown and John Gierach is a worthy read. But there is this one book that draws me back to it time and again: "The Habit of Rivers", by Ted Leeson. This book is mind blowing. After reading it, your approach to fishing will be forever changed - in a good way, of course.

If at first you have trouble going through the pages, put it down, make yourself a warm cup of tea or coffee, and try again. It's deep. It's almost mind altering. Please put it on your list. :)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 10:52:01 AM »

I agree with your Leeson choice Milo, and meant to mention it as I did the first time this topic came up.