Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overnight camping Fraser River?  (Read 10321 times)

cabro

Overnight camping Fraser River?
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:27:35 PM »

I wanted to head out on the Fraser in a car topper and camp overnight on one of the bars. Just wondering if there is anywhere you can pay to park overnight?

I take it you used to be able to at Island 22 before the erosion problems.

MoeJKU

Re: Overnight camping Fraser River?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:36:08 PM »

Why not just get someone to drive you to drop your boat in and then bring your camping stuff in your boat and set up somewhere and then go fish for however long and sleep where you set up camp.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »

I wanted to head out on the Fraser in a car topper and camp overnight on one of the bars. Just wondering if there is anywhere you can pay to park overnight?

Gill road and its free.

cabro

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 05:20:57 PM »

Why not just get someone to drive you to drop your boat in and then bring your camping stuff in your boat and set up somewhere and then go fish for however long and sleep where you set up camp.

Due to stories i've heard here I'm worried about leaving the vehicle overnight in an unsecured parking lot. :(

cabro

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »

Gill road and its free.

Is it a safe spot to leave your car overnight?

fisherforever

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:00:39 PM »

.         I would advise against it, you would probably find broken into or just a burnt out shell.                                                                                                                           

ipaqanipaq

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 09:13:20 PM »

Edgewater Bar in Derby Reach Park in Langley has a campground.  You'd have to pay for a site.

Maybe a marina?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:16:41 PM by ipaqanipaq »

sumasriver

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:31:25 PM »

Gill Rd on weekends is like a scene from Mad Max.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »

Safe to leave overnight. Done it many times. Lots of people camped next to the parking lot and lots more recreating around the area.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 09:46:43 PM »

Gill Rd on weekends is like a scene from Mad Max.
Very true sumasriver  ::) however , I to have camped in the motorhome as well as park my truck, packed the boat and tented on one of the bars . Not once in over ten years have I had anything happen to either vehicles . Right at the moment there is a temporary host ;) that watches over things near where u drop in the boat .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

TNAngler

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »

DFO officer I talked to recently said to avoid Gill road.  That there are all kinds of issues there, including a body dumped there recently.  In previous years we have had tires slashed there multiple times and vehicle broken into once.  That could be because we had WA licenses though.  If they are willing to do it because of where we are from, you think they wouldn't do it because they spy something in your cab that they want?

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »

DFO officer I talked to recently said to avoid Gill road.  That there are all kinds of issues there, including a body dumped there recently.  In previous years we have had tires slashed there multiple times and vehicle broken into once.  That could be because we had WA licenses though.  If they are willing to do it because of where we are from, you think they wouldn't do it because they spy something in your cab that they want?
WA plates? Unfortunately that has been a problem, not at just at Gill rd but in a lot of places here in the valley. I have parked there overnight recently, as I have been doing for many yrs and have never had a problem. Body being dumped? Never heard about it, and if true,that can happen anywhere. And as always, use common sense and don't leave anything of value in your ride.My dad camped there for many many yrs before he passed away a couple of yrs ago,the people around there are like family,everyone knows everyone.

MoeJKU

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »

Due to stories i've heard here I'm worried about leaving the vehicle overnight in an unsecured parking lot. :(
Thats why you get someone to drop you off and they drive your car home. you call them when you need picked up.

TNAngler

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 11:36:11 AM »

WA plates? Unfortunately that has been a problem, not at just at Gill rd but in a lot of places here in the valley. I have parked there overnight recently, as I have been doing for many yrs and have never had a problem. Body being dumped? Never heard about it, and if true,that can happen anywhere. And as always, use common sense and don't leave anything of value in your ride.My dad camped there for many many yrs before he passed away a couple of yrs ago,the people around there are like family,everyone knows everyone.

Yeah, it is a problem a lot of places which sucks.  I think she also said a bunch of used drug needles and stuff.  Any place you go though, it just takes one intelligent and respectable human being (or call them something different) that can ruin it all, or at least ruin your day.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:40:00 AM by TNAngler »

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »

Just go fish the WA flows and you can get into a gun fight with some dumb hick...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.