Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to BC  (Read 5419 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: New to BC
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 10:01:17 AM »

The gear you have is fine no need to throw down large quite yet, local shops will try to sell you up because that's what they do but I've seen people with Great Lakes style setups do very well indeed, Pink Worms Rool!

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 12:34:50 PM »

I guy I know talks about steelhead fishing in Ontario frequently and says that he used a CP and only 6lb leader.

Things are quite different here.
The fish are much larger (steelhead included) and the current is much stronger.

I was using a 10lb leader earlier in the week and got snapped off by a medium sized Chinook (about 20lbs).
I did try to land him without moving down the river so that may have had something to do with it.

I changed to a 15lb leader and was able to land a couple of decent fish (15lb & 7lb Jack) without any problems.
There was perhaps 2-3 of visability at the time so you might have to go lighter if the water is clearer.

Depends on what kind of fish you are trying to get.
If you are fishing for jacks or Coho, 8-10lb leader would be fine.

Full sized Chinook and Chums would require something heavier.

floatfishin

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 08:21:11 PM »

Guys, again A MILLION Thx!!!!!!! Never expected such a response, but may I say I am more than thankfull!!!

"Eskimo" I got my feet wet fishing the Ganny bro! I have fished them all from Coburg to the St. Marys in the SOO Many of my fav's include the Pine, The Credit, Loved te Notty for yrs until it became a crazy spot thx to Grey Bruce, but I have love for all the East Ditches ;D My PB came from Bowmanville in 1999, A pig pushing 18 on a big wolly bugger pattern under a float. Im from Ottawa, but lved in SW for 3 yrs, but travelled almost every weekend for the 13 yrs I lived in Ottawa.

So many thx to all on here, If I can offer any tips, or help aswell, I'll be the 1st to do so!!!

I've also heard the Smallies out here are in #'s, so if the Float does not pay off, then it might be a tube weekend ;D

I have to r-look the names on here, just got in from work, but to the lad who is in Seattle, eail me anytime, if you move this way I would be more than happy to head out with ya!!!!

Thx again to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great site!!!!

Tight Lines:

Float

floatfishin

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »

Fished the quickies and the"Flatfish" Under a float in reel tuff cons myself, never left the Queenston Launch in Niagra with out a few Quickies rigged, aswel as a few smller"Hot'N'Tot's" Tuff bite on the Drift the body baits made a diff many times!!!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 08:15:03 AM »

If you are in North Van, go see Dave at Highwater Tackle on lower Lonsdale (between 1st and 2nd on the west side).  Great guy and should be more than happy to help guide you in the right direction for gear etc....

I second that... definately worth your time to go see Dave.