Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saltwater fishing question.  (Read 3403 times)

ssd0904

Saltwater fishing question.
« on: March 22, 2010, 03:23:48 PM »

Can i keep a fluke in like a net? (It's like a net that keeps fish in and it goes in to water so the fish is alive while im at the place)

What would be a close pier to my house, V2Y-0B2 (Langley, Willoughby) with most population of flukes? (Within an hour or two from my house)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Saltwater fishing question.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »

I would not eat any sole or flounder from anywhere near there...not a chance.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:09:14 PM »

While keeping fish alive in rivers and lakes is illegal (to prevent high grading - a practice that poachers use to keep the largest fish possible), there aren't any regulations that prohibit you from doing the same in saltwater fisheries. Just to be absolutely sure, you should phone 604-666-2828 to confirm.

Post what you find out after phoning please.

ssd0904

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:24:13 PM »

Hey Marmot why not ??? We eat crabs there anything wrong with the fish there? I've seen people keeping it before :-\ Wanna tell me?

Rodney: Ok i'll call very soon im doing my hw right now lol

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 03:21:07 PM »

Hey Marmot why not ??? We eat crabs there anything wrong with the fish there? I've seen people keeping it before :-\ Wanna tell me?

Rodney: Ok i'll call very soon im doing my hw right now lol

Sure, I'd be happy to share why I think people should think twice about eating crustaceans and fish from around here.

To sum it up, you are what you eat, that goes for crab and flounder/sole that are residents of that area as well. The top predator in a food chain gets the highest concentration of aaaaalllll the toxins that the lower species pass along.  That's us, in case you were wondering :)

Next time you catch a flounder from anywhere around here check it's belly for cysts and discolored areas/ lumps etc.  I've fished them in clean water off vancouver island and up the sunshine coast for over 20 years, you just don't see that sort of thing, at least I never did.  When you have entire areas of the LML (boundary bay for example) cut off from swimming because of fecal coliform levels you have to question the logic about eating something that spends its entire life in those waters.  It's like eating from your toilet.

ssd0904

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 05:53:26 PM »

Hmm damn so everybody crab fishing from there's eating crabs that breathe in toilet water? That's kinda disgusting...Well i r u talking about only Belcarra or White Rock too? ???

ssd0904

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 05:56:27 PM »

Oh ok all the boundary piers... Hmm that sucks. I wanna live in Vancouver Island too but i cant so .. I dono. Thanks for sharing the info tho

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 06:30:25 PM »

Well just look at where the piers are situated and it should give you an idea of the water that the fish / crab are living in.  A place like belcarra is right at the end of an industry heavy inlet.  Ambelside is right near a sewage outflow (if I remember correctly).  White Rock pier is probably the most exposed of them and sees the least pollutants, but then again it is just outside of the boundary bay area... which also has very high fecal coliform counts (last time I checked).  Eating crab/resident fish from these areas probably won't do you any harm but like I said I HAVE found MANY cysts and some pretty gross looking tumors in flatfish.  Just something to consider.  All that said, people are not dropping dead from eating animals from these places and the public health authority has not shut it down.  It does strike me as odd though that water that is unsafe for swimming can be considered safe to "eat from".

ssd0904

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »

Yeah i guess it is a really something to consider  ;D Thanks for the info again.