Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most effective bait And lure in winter and spring for stocked rainbow trout  (Read 6503 times)

ssd0904

Hey the title says it all I'm on my iPod I'll write short 

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer

Bait-Salmon eggs

Lure-small Spinner

Blackgivesway2blue

Lure - Size 1 Red Blue Fox, and Gibbs Croc 1/8th Gold Hammerred with Orange strip

Bait - Powerbait

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Just like with steelhead- garden worms and shrimp

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

vancook

• Old Timer

bait- powerbait, deli shrimp, dew worms, single pink eggs

lures - 1/8 crocs, personal favourite is silver with a pink stripe

jon5hill

In the colder parts of winter, fish with a float near the bottom with 3-4 salmon eggs on your hook.

When it warms up, use Powerbait 3-inch trout worms. They work better than anything I've tried, and I've tried everything.

The best part about them is that if you screw up hooking a fish, you can just leave your float there and 90% of the time the fish comes right back to hit it. The worm is lethal when presented correctly. No messy fingers from shrimp or worms, no spoiled excess bait when the day is done. It's the most effective way to hook up with stocked trout as it provokes a very aggressive bite from the fish, minimizes the cost of bait as a single worm can last up to 10 fish, maximizes fishing time because you do not have to constantly bait your hook, and finally, removes any doubt in your mind after a fish bites that you may have "lost your bait" because it stays on your hook like superglue and absolutely will not come off.

I caught 6 fish yesterday at Sasamat lake with 3-inch powerbait trout worms, I've used them for 2 seasons now and swear by them.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

you can also use the 3" worm for steelhead. Deadly in the clear water in the upper like it is now.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

ssd0904

Thanks for all you guys! I know all the baits for trout but just didnt know the most effective one! I'll try the 3 incch trout worm, shrimp, etc. Anyways what colour 3 inch trout worm?

jon5hill

Thanks for all you guys! I know all the baits for trout but just didnt know the most effective one! I'll try the 3 incch trout worm, shrimp, etc. Anyways what colour 3 inch trout worm?

Chartreuse, White, Red, any of them work. Just make sure that you use a bright one if the water is muddy.

Jona

Wedding bands work well.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
Re: Most effective bait And lure in winter and spring for stocked rainbow trout
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 09:27:48 PM »

Hatchery pellets work well also, especially for catchables  ;D

ssd0904

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 04:24:25 PM »

Hey Jon, for the powerbait worms, do i  just use them with Float also? Because it's floating type, so wouldnt it float with the float? So shouldnt i use a down rigger? Thanks.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »

I use a float.

jon5hill

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 06:49:44 PM »

Hey Jon, for the powerbait worms, do i  just use them with Float also? Because it's floating type, so wouldnt it float with the float? So shouldnt i use a down rigger? Thanks.

Use a light float, like a small thill float, and a single split shot for added sensitivity. If you ever come out to Sasamat lake I can show you some time.

send me a PM and i can send you detailed information

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 07:42:55 PM »

Absolutely no need to use a downrigger when fishing the stocked lakes.