Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish-Whistler Streams  (Read 2374 times)

YY

Squamish-Whistler Streams
« on: September 26, 2005, 06:54:46 PM »

On the way to Whistler for my biking trip I noticed a fair amount of low, clear streams/rivers that seem suitable for trout fishing. The part I am referring to is the stretch of land from Squamish to Whistler along the highway. Anyone have experience from the area? Those streams looked like ideal trout habitat, but any form of fish that inhabit those water-bodies?

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
Re: Squamish-Whistler Streams
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 10:20:53 PM »

The stream you are looking at is the Cheakamus River. It is currently closed to all angling due to the CN Rail chemical spill on Aug 5/05. Angling opening's are being reviewed so check out the DFO fishery notice page shortly for any new info. Most likely the river will open for salmon below the anadromous barrier in the canyon ( just downstream from the spill site ) but evidently the Province wants to keep the area from the derailment to the dam closed. This is the section that was not effected by the spill so it will be interesting to hear the logic defending that move.

YY

Re: Squamish-Whistler Streams
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 10:33:09 PM »

Wow, thx for the info. I know about the spill on the Cheakamus, but I had no idea that the river runs almost 3/4 of the way from Squamish to Whistler.  :-[