Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harrison report  (Read 2044 times)

Fishin Impossible

Harrison report
« on: September 26, 2005, 02:14:06 PM »

So yesterday i was anchored in the mouth of the Harrison with a couple of friends fishing for pinks. I have'nt been out there for a while and thought it might be a good spot to take these friends. About every five minutes or so a huge utility boat would pass the anchored boats headed downriver to pick up loads of salmon. Each boat would have a couple of natives in it with either a white man or woman at the tiller operating these two boats. Anyways. these boats would cause a wake of up to 3 feet going down and higher coming back up loaded with fish. The operators of these vessels showed little or no regard for sports fisherman anchored there fishing.At one point i observed one vessel operated by the white women pass within two metres of an anchored jet boat. A woman sitting on the side of the boat nearly went over. The operator of the utility boat did not even look back.Who are these operators and how can they get a kick in the my friend? Each time a loaded boat of fish would pass by the natives would make sure everyone knew by yelling and holding up some big springs that they obviously had just netted. Later in the afternoon, right at the mouth but behind the dyke, they decided to have target practice with a hunting rifle and must have blasted off about thirty to fourty shots. Sounded real nice-not! Anyways to cap things off as we were about to pull anchor and leave a small alum full of natives came flying past the anchored boats with a young guy standing in the windshield giving the yip, yip war cry and then giving the you got a problem look to anyone who made eye contact with him. Boy talk about making a good impression or looking for trouble. The good news is i just hammered the pinks all day with a pink jig head with pink feathering. (homemade job) the water was fairly clear and you could see the fish swimming by. I did notice that when you jigged your lure it would catch the attention of a couple of fish who would investigate it. i actually saw the pinks lightly taste the lure then spit it out.I now know that their taste/bite is very subtle and easy to miss. So anyways the fishing was good but the experience sucked! Back to the vedder mouth.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Harrison report
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 04:35:05 PM »

1) I would report the shooting to the local RCMP

2) It's yahoos like these morons that give a negative impressions of First Nations. Not all FN behave like this. Only takes a few bad apples.