Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breathable waders...Which ones??  (Read 11590 times)

rob.l

• Pick up your trash boys and girls!!
Breathable waders...Which ones??
« on: September 23, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »

I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge an buying a pair of Breathables. I'm not the wealthiest man around, so which brands do you recommend that are of good quality?, How much, and where?

thanks for any info
Rob

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
Re: Breathable waders...Which ones??
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 03:47:36 PM »

just bought a pair of breathables this year so far their great as for the summer but i think they might be too cold for fall/winter fishing, using my neoprene's for that and as for brand I've been using bare product's been very good for me and about $300 said and done for a decent pair

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 03:53:28 PM »

Buy the best you can afford if you do a lot of fishing. Buy ones that fit properly - be sure you can bend down, kneel and lift your leg high without stressing the crotch seam - no stretch so tight waders will end up leaking. As for cold - don't worry about it. Wear long underwear and a good fleese on the coldest days and you're very comfortable. Once you wear breathables you won't want to go back to neoprenes - at least not here in the Lower Mainland.

BlackEddy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 04:15:14 PM »

Simms Freestone waders, $219 @ Anglers West on Broadway in Vancouver.
Probably the best value in breathables today.  As mentioned earlier buy the best you can afford, you'll save in the long run.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 04:33:10 PM »

I will second the simms. As an added bonus, if you put alcohol on simms where there is a leak it turns purple. One thing to note about breathables is buy bigger than you normally would as they tend to fit tight in the crotch and down the road this can be a problem.
Actions speak louder than words.

redside1

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 09:36:36 PM »

I will second the simms. As an added bonus, if you put alcohol on simms where there is a leak it turns purple. One thing to note about breathables is buy bigger than you normally would as they tend to fit tight in the crotch and down the road this can be a problem.
you should check and see if that works for the "Freestone" model. They are not Gortex like the G3's or Guideweight waders. No matter what type you buy, make sure the fit is good otherwise you will end up with big problems very quickly no matter if you pay $100.00 or $600.00 for the waders.

Stone

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 10:39:19 PM »

That method won't work on the Freestones as they are not Gore-Tex as mentioned by redside1.

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 10:48:09 PM »

Simms G-3's   Best waders I think. ;D

Wool Bandit

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 08:06:52 PM »

Once you try breathable waders your neoprenes will only see action if you use a float tube. I stand waist deep in the Thompson in November, and December for hours, dressed with an appropriate fleece layering system and I feel no pain. Do not buy Bare breathables they are without a doubt the worst pair on the market! One in every three pairs sold come back in the first few months leaking. I went through 4 pair in 18 months! Wardell waders are cheaper and of much higher quality. Simms also makes a quality product, but I'm unhappy with my G-3's. 14 months of heavy use and they are completely destroyed! So I'm now in a pair of Patagonia. Time will only tell how they preform. DO NOT BUY BARE WADERS!

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 08:43:56 PM »

I have had my bare waders for 2 years . I use them at least once a week and I am not easy on my waders and have never had a problem with them.
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 08:48:37 PM »

Bare's tend to fit small, buy big or you'll get crotch leaks fast.
Actions speak louder than words.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 08:53:32 PM »

Simms Lightweights, I've given them the worst beating in the last year that most would do in a lifetime without leaks.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 10:21:08 PM »

Picked these up last year, on their second river season, very comfortable coming from rubber waders, not going back...
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/wading_product.asp?dept_id=510&pf_id=61265
Paid ~$245

And these boots:
http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?PAGE=PRODUCT_DETAILS&CAT=footwear&PROD.ID=14430
Paid ~$150 (I think) + gravel guards and wading belt

And picked this up mid-way through last season:
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=172&mc=23
Paid ~$175

Nice set-up, very confortable (even in the Chehalis in December), keeps me dry (as you would expect), and the vest gives me that extra bit of security and holds everything I need.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

sparky

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005, 10:32:46 PM »

i was on a budget, got a pair of sedge's for $130 (reg. $200?) at Hub's (www.hubsports.com).  not sure if they have different models, but these ones have knees, front pouch, etc.  the fit is good, and i use them 2-3 times a week.  still the first season on them though, but so far so good.

rob.l

• Pick up your trash boys and girls!!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 10:48:17 AM »

Here is my problem.... I am the size of a large vedder white.. ;D
About 5'3, so a short man.... with a side of  little man sindrome ;D LOL..
Any who,.. It's hard for me to find a good fitting wader to start with .
A shorter in length, fitting wader is really what I am looking for

Rob