Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beads Beads Beads  (Read 7994 times)

Electroman

Beads Beads Beads
« on: November 06, 2016, 10:01:46 PM »

What do you guys like to use for beads? Any size better than others?

Ive tried Steelheadbeads but seemed to keep getting hung up. Maybe i should have shortened up a bit but i switched up my presentation instead.

wallygator24

Re: Beads Beads Beads
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:30:20 AM »

I like using trout beads my self.  I usually use 8MM-12MM depending on the water conditions.  Using beads is more of a low clear water tactic.  If you find yourself getting hung up a lot adjust your float so that you are not getting hung up.  I usually run a longer leader when using this technique as you want the bead to naturally move in the water like a real egg going down the river. It is surprisingly affective.     

Kever

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 06:56:14 AM »

Just bought me some hevibeads I'll report back soon

wallygator24

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 07:08:04 AM »

Careful with the heavy beads. Especially the ones made out of glass.  Those break easy and have to be fished short float style as they sink rapidly.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 08:18:24 AM »

Just bought me some hevibeads I'll report back soon

--I have used those as an addition to spinners etc. using the rubber section as they demonstrate rather than having to string the bead on the line. Quick way to change up colour or add/subtract weight in changing conditions. Have used them trolling as well as casting.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 09:23:07 AM »

personally was not a fan of the heavy beads. a fish egg does not bounce of the bottom in its natural form. stick to the plastic buoyant beads.

Electroman

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 09:34:11 AM »

I like using trout beads my self.  I usually use 8MM-12MM depending on the water conditions.   

Are the Trout beads more  neutrally buoyant?

personally was not a fan of the heavy beads. a fish egg does not bounce of the bottom in its natural form. stick to the plastic buoyant beads.

Do you prefer something more like a larger Jensen egg?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 10:06:09 AM »

i had good success last year on the steelhead beads. i only use 8mm and 10mm. depending on what your targeting, water color and what fish are spawning are factors in which i decide what i am going to use.

243Pete

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 03:48:41 PM »

Hevi-beads tend to chip and sometimes crack if fished directly on the bottom, I'll use Hevi-beads if I fish a small piece of bait such as roe or dew-worm.
If I am fishing bead only (mostly when fly fishing) I'll go with 6-8mm trout bead for clear conditions when targetting steel and larger for when the water is colored or faster flowing, but if I do that I'll run an indicator or a slow sinking like 1.5-2 IPS with a fluro leader and fluro tippet.

If you are fishing with a float using a 2-3 foot leader is my recommendation, I know some people who use longer but it depends on how you are fishing and where. If you are hanging up/ snagging bottom it could be because your hook is large or fairly heavy causing it to basically act as an anchor. Either that or your bead is fairly small like a 6mm and might be getting wedged in areas where rocks are roughly fist sized. If I run a bead to run on the bottom of the river I make sure the area I'm fishing is usually sandy or gravel bottom to prevent hang ups.
As for size... this is sort of a match the spawning fish/ timing thing or at least for myself, springs have large eggs so anything over 10mm is ok, chum 8mm, coho and steelhead 6-4mm.

Electroman

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 05:24:21 PM »

Thanks for the good info. I believe it was 12mm i was using for steel  :o  . Ive heard some had had success with beads but was never really sure where to start. picking a colour is another challenge. Way to many choices for me.

Let the shopping begin.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 05:26:29 PM by Electroman »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 06:45:09 PM »

--I use the hevi for same reasons others don't.  They bang along the bottom with a different sound... attractive at sometimes. I also use them to quickly add a contrasting colour.
--For sure I use fly "egg patterns" fly, soft plastic like compleat anglers single egg ohs and clusters.
--the hevi bead is just part of the mix.

--I often use the smaller floating plastic, egg fly patterns and soft plastics for a more natural drift for white fish.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:47:42 PM by skaha »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 06:47:35 PM »

I came here thinking this was headed in another direction :o :o ::)

243Pete

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 01:20:46 AM »

Thanks for the good info. I believe it was 12mm i was using for steel  :o  . Ive heard some had had success with beads but was never really sure where to start. picking a colour is another challenge. Way to many choices for me.

Let the shopping begin.

As for picking colors, there is a lot of different thought that goes into it as well. Time/ month, how long ago did (specific species of salmon) spawn and ect. Sometimes a month after a run of chum are done a dead "pink" egg will be deadly but two or more a brown/ amber colored egg will do great as well. I'm personally going to experiment with a hologram eye on a white/ light pink egg followed by a dew worm or purple jig this season.

Get a small or large partitioned box to store all those beads, I bought a large one that makes an audioable "snap" when it closes, nothing like dumping hundreds of beads on the floor and having to sort them out by hand. :o

I came here thinking this was headed in another direction :o :o ::)
Hahaha! wait... wat?  ::)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 06:26:29 AM »

Get a small or large partitioned box to store all those beads, I bought a large one that makes an audioable "snap" when it closes, nothing like dumping hundreds of beads on the floor and having to sort them out by hand. :o

How bad of a day are you planning if you're taking 100's of beads to the river? You're doing something seriously wrong if you need that many beads for a day trip. If you're obsessed with taking that much tackle to the river, place the groups of beads in small ziplock bags.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 06:36:51 AM »

--I use the hevi for same reasons others don't.  They bang along the bottom with a different sound... attractive at sometimes. I also use them to quickly add a contrasting colour.
--For sure I use fly "egg patterns" fly, soft plastic like compleat anglers single egg ohs and clusters.
--the hevi bead is just part of the mix.

--I often use the smaller floating plastic, egg fly patterns and soft plastics for a more natural drift for white fish.

Chris, Chris - they're bottom bouncing with beads  - quick, get the camera.  :P

I tried casting beads on flyrod - My cast timing sucks too much and I end up snapping them off at the end of my back cast. I used to tie three smaller beads together with wire or mono then Crazy glue and tie with red thread to a #4 Gammi. Add a little angel hair for a sparkly remnant of a skein. It looked good and probably would have worked a lot better on the line of someone that knows how to cast accordingly.