Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indian vs Pitt fish size  (Read 2438 times)

Big Rob

Indian vs Pitt fish size
« on: October 22, 2007, 04:51:16 PM »

Reading KLX's  post about the Indian river brought back great memories of fishing the Indian.The first trip was in 1968, my Dad and I launched at Rocky point in his home made 15ft plywood boat powered with a 40 hp johnson We  would run up Indian arm and tie up to Welwoods boom float. welwood had a camp about 1 mile up the river. We would walk up to three mile bridge and fish down. My dad had  some friends that also fished the Indian but most trips we were the only fishermen on the river. My Dad had a friend who owned DesBrisay's sporting goods in Haney. (anyone remember Paul)  Paul was approached by a group  based out of Pitt Meadows airport to helicopter into the upper Pitt to fish  with their group and wirite about  the  experience , Paul wrote a weekly fishing articale for the Gazette at that time. At the last moment Paul could'nt make the trip and I went in his place.  It was 1968 my first trip to the upper Pitt Iwas 17years old. In1972 I bought my first boat a 17ft islander  with an 85 chrysler also a new 80cc yamaha motor bike,light enough for one man to lift it into the boat but had the power to carry two people. In the 70's  I spent my weekends during the winter months fishing Steelhead on the Upper Pitt or the Indian river. I would guess that the Upper Pitt  is twice the size of the Indian river, and yet indian river steelhead were remarkably bigger. My biggest steelhead ever caught came out of the Indian, just shy of 19lb.  Dad caught one just over 19lb. numerous fish in the high teens , very few fish under 8lb. during the years that we fished the upper Pitt I personaly never caught a steelhead over 10lbs and only saw one fish that weighed out at 13lbs. I fished the Indian few times for coho , but would usualy spend coho season on Chehalis. the Indian also had a nice run of cutthroat in the summer, released one that was either a lost summer run or one big cuttie, at least 6/7lb. Did see some springs in the summer but wasnt fishing for them. Fishing the Pitt in mid April one  year a Caught and released  an early 18/20lb spring.Lots of good fishing stories from the 70's   

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
Re: Indian vs Pitt fish size
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 04:26:12 PM »

i wish i was there back then but i was still in the peetree dish
girls suck throw rocks at them!

KLX

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 05:38:05 PM »

nice synopsis...how were the predators back then? Seems every year i'm running into more and more bears. There were many cougar sightings this year in the town ucluelet also.

Anyway, i hope i can get up to indian atleast to explore, be nice to have another to go with.

Big Rob

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:38:20 PM »

We saw a few bears on the Indian in the summer time No wildlife during the winter. On the Upper Pitt saw my first and only couger.  It ran across the road  in front of the motor bike. Lots of bears on the upper Pitt in the summer time. Heard  that a grizzly was spotted in the upper valley.  could be just a story. Have never seen a bear on the Vedder until last year, now they seem quite comman.  Lots of bears in the Suiside  creek area the last couple of years           

Sandhead

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 07:13:55 PM »

I heard that there maybe grizzlies in the indian river watershed now... makes sense as they have been reportedly spotted in nearby squamish..

I going for walks up in the indian river valley, very neat place. So remote yet so close to Vancouver... I wish I could have seen it before the valley was clearcut
Also would love to hear any stories that people have of the Capilano Valley pre dam. I'm sure that would have been a magical spot. As for the indian river i'm always surprised there are so few fish in that system. Looks so perfect, but I never see anything up there....
Would love to visit Norton again, but with the road closed and no motorbike/atv i doubt i'll ever get up there again.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »

i spoke with an old timer who fished the cap before the dam went in. he said never in your life will you ever experiance fishing like that.when the fish were there just about one every cast and of course they were all huge!

must have been nice! to bad none of us will ever get to see anytyhing like that. :-[
girls suck throw rocks at them!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 09:05:45 PM »

Lots of bears on the upper Pitt in the summer time. Heard  that a grizzly was spotted in the upper valley.  could be just a story.

Grizz in Upper Pitt valley is confirmed.  Tracks seen along one of the upper creeks.